looking at the Saw Stop saws

How about of bein "educated beyond intelligence"?

Reply to
Swingman

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 20:07:58 -0800, the infamous "Rusty" scrawled the following:

Huh? ACCC? Oh, you mean _skeptics_, those of us who don't fall for the overinflated charts and Chicken Little stories of the alarmists? And why does a finger saver relate to Warming? OK, with fewer fingeers, we couldn't give you alarmists 'the finger' as often. Was that it?

And the AGWK alarmists always present in August, the hottest month.

Can you read? Try some of these:

_Hard Green_ by Peter Huber

_The Skeptical Envioronmentalist_ by Bjorn Lomborg

_Cool It: The Skeptical Environmentalist's Guide to Global Warming_ by Bjorn Lomborg (His newest book)

_Shattered Consensus: The True State of Global Warming_ by Patrick J. Michaels

_Unstoppable Global Warming, Every 1,500 Years_ by S. Fred Singer and Dennis Avery

_Terrestrial Energy_ by William tucker

_The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming and Environmentalism_ by Christopher Horner

_The Deniers: The World Renowned Scientists Who Stood Up Against Global Warming Hysteria, Political Persecution, and Fraud**And those who are too fearful to do so_ by Lawrence Solomon

_Earth Report 2000_ editor Roy Spencer, famous scientific authors

_State of Fear_ (bibliography, 23 or so pages of enviro books) by Michael Crichton

and then get back to us, 'K?

If you're still an AGWK whacko after reading a few of those books, I'll eat my hat.

-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 21:06:46 -0800 (PST), the infamous RicodJour scrawled the following:

Lew, I think what Ricky's trying to say is "Me and Nonny jes don't gayet it, Lew. Where you at? Let's talk some."

-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oh, okay.. that means we won't have to worry for a few hundred years or more..

Reply to
Robatoy

It won't take that long. People will get tired of it at some point and we'll just give up and claim a great victory.

Reply to
CW

Interesting new technology being developed here:

blade is saved. The blade stops by use of a "proximity sensor".

Interesting technology but I can tell you from personal experience that stopping in about 1 second is not nearly fast enought to prevent bad cut.

Reply to
Leon

I have not seen the video lately but will take your word for it. Still, I think I would trust a blade that actually stops over one that moves out of the way.

Reply to
Leon

It is the fact that the spinning blade is suddenly stopped (by jamming a chunk of aluminum into it) that provides the energy to drop the blade suddenly.

If you don't stop the blade, then some entirely different mechanism would be necessary to drop it quickly.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

They're not independent mechanisms, the angular momentum of the spinning blade is used to drop it below the surface when it is stopped quickly. That's why it drops so fast.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Seems to me that SawStop provides the best of both worlds: it stops the blade, and uses the energy of the rotating blade to drop the trunnion so the blade moves out of the way too.

My next TS will definitely be a SawStop. Just have to figure out how to afford one first...

Reply to
Doug Miller

I looked at one a few weeks ago with the granite top. Never mind affording one, I need a shop I can fit it into. My basement shop is too small.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

"Leon" wrote in news:t9WdncBin6gl1NrWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I was ripping a 2x4 once, doing everything I knew to do for safety and using the tool properly, and the wood just exploded. Well, not exploded really, but about 3/4 of the way through the rip it suddenly twisted, broke, and generally went nuts.

The point here is that sometimes accidents happen without you doing anything wrong. Careful has little to do with it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

It uses a "proximity sensor". It's not 1 sec after you touch the blade. It's one second after you "are too close" to the blade.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

It's the good old 'catastrophe in exchange for a catastrophe' method. Like an air bag or an ejection seat. The fun part of the SawStop is that it stores and releases its own energy. It is very, very clever. I had a great time chatting with the rep at the Toronto Woodworking Machinery show a cpl of months back. It's a beautiful saw, really well made. I'd be proud and happy to own a piece of gear like that.

Reply to
Robatoy

looking at it closely, it stops the blade before your fingers get too near it. unless you're pushing wood in really fast, the blade would stop before your parts would get near the blade.

it detects the difference in light reflections by using some led lights and some sensors i would guess. seems that it could be fooled, and how would one use a push stick with that overhead guard?

Reply to
charlie

But how fast can you stop it?

A 10" blade (~3' in circumfrence) rotating at 3450 rpm is moving the outer edge at roughly 120 MPH. You ain't gonna stop anything moving that fast in mere milliseconds without ripping something all to shreds and perhaps destroying all life on the planet.

Reply to
HeyBub

I'm still looking for the cite of an article that says IQ distribution is a straight line - for men or women. You answered a question I didn't ask.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I think he was making an attempt at humour...

Either that or he has absolutely no idea what he is talking about...

Reply to
Zootal

Which is about a half second after you loose your fingers...

Reply to
Zootal

Just think... now you won't have to embarass yourself in front of your friends while beating the living shit out of this dead horse.

big words. Just scroll down a bit to the video.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41