Solid surface

Hello,

Im making a new countertop for our kitchen. I will use a partical board fro the base, Formika for the top and a strip of solid surface for the edge.

What is the best glue to use to glue the edge?

Thanks Christian

Reply to
Christian Charette

I made a tile counter and used RTV to hold Corian edging on it. I used finish nails with the heads cut off in blind holes in the Corian to anchor it but once the RTV set up I doubt they are really doing anything. I used 3/4 plywood for the base because I was worried particle board would absorb water and blow up.

Reply to
Greg

What does the manufacturer recommend?

Reply to
Leon

Don't know I didn't ask...

Christian

Reply to
Christian Charette

That might be the best answer. They do use special adhesives for joining pieces in 45 degree corners.

Reply to
Leon

I just called the dude, he said that they use contact cement on the back and they use a epoxy type glue for the joint. the problem is, it comes in a 2 big tubes (silicone size) available at 120.00$ (CAN) and you need the special gun.

I only have 2 joint 1/4" x 1" to do...

Christian

Reply to
Christian Charette

Then I would mix up some 2 part Epoxy

Reply to
Leon

Hey Leon, Can we get some dye for epoxy?

Christian

Reply to
Christian Charette

My wealth of information has come to an abrupt halt. I think you can change the color but very dark is all that I have heard of.

Reply to
Leon

I know we usually think of JB Weld type products that come out grey but there are also clear and white epoxy mixes. I think they just do the black and white = grey to get people to mix it properly.

Reply to
Greg

Yes.

They basically take epoxy and mill a color additive to it.

Black is a popular color.

I buy 1 qt cans of black.

A couple of tablespoons colors a gallon quite nicely.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

There is a special color matched corian joint adhesive. or similar for whatever other manufacturer you choose. They also make special plastic biscuits for solid surface. Personally in this non standard application I would just get a tube of the color matched (to the formaica) caulk and seal the joint to the solid surface with that. I would use the plastic biscuits. Be sure to use the high density particle board or mdf as a substrate for the formica. Plywood is _not_ recommended.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Christian, there are always new Corian epoxy packages on eBay in various colors. They usually go for about $15.00

Reply to
Vince Heuring