spillage under a slide-in range - preventing?

I have a new slide-in range that rests on our granite countertop. You know... one of those that makes the top look like a counter-top stove, but it's actually a whole range. Anyway, I'd like to find a way to prevent accidentaly spills that go out over the surrounding granite from falling down between the range and the cabinets. We had a glass tea pot break, and the water of course went everywhere... and since the range top is just a flat surface, the water went everywhere. Not a problem, except that I had to pull the range out and make sure it didn't soak our cabinets.

So, I began to think that I should put some material down between the bottom edge of the range (electric glass smooth top) and the granite to seal it against these kinds of accidents. However, since it IS a range top, it might get hot near the edge, so I don't want to put a strip of foam there, AND since I might have to remove the range in the future for repairs, etc, I don't want to calk it, since that might prove to be hard ro remove when the time came.

Any ideas? Thanks. Steve Henderson

Reply to
Steve Henderson

a bead of silicone. raise up the stove, apply the bead, let cure (24 hours), then let down.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

GE used to make a high temperature silicone sealant for that purpose. We used it on commercial drop in cooktops to prevent spillage from seeping under the units. The stuff was rust red and came in 12 oz. tube and cost about $50 thirty years ago

Reply to
RBM