Swimming Pool Pump Question

I have a 12,000 gallon in-ground pool with a spill-over spa. The pump that is currently installed is a 3/4 hp Sta-Rite. The filter is a cartridge type. I also have a heatpump in the system. When I have the heat pump in-line, I cannot get the jets in the spa to suck air down their vents to produce bubbles. The only way I can get the jets to produce bubbles is to by-pass the heat pump and open all the return drains from the pool to the pump but that cools off the spa. I eventually would like to install solar panels on my 2 story house. I have a feeling the pump is undersized, but shall I go 1hp or 1.5hp? Will I need to get a bigger filter for the larger pump? Pressure into the filter is 10psi with the heater bypasses and 19 with the pump in-line.

Reply to
docjohnson

Must be nice to live in a place where you worry about your pool pump in January ;-)

Reply to
Patrick Cleburne

Not for 12,000 gallons. 3/4 should be plenty. The pump is not the problem.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Cleaned the pool just yesterday! Here comes February....

Oren

I would not be surprised that if the heat pump installation was designed to limit flow so as to get the temp up to spa temps when heating. If it is drawing the water from the pool, it has to heat the water a lot to get it up to temp. You could use a return from the spa, and another pump, or a bypass with most of the water coming from the spa. If you draw the same amount of water from the pool as it does now, with the rest coming from the spa, your temps should hold better. You would lose some efficiency because the heat pump would not be able to supply as much heat to spa temp water as it can to pool temp water, so you'd probably want to switch it back to full pool water supply when you aren't using the spa.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

3/4 HP is enough to turn over the water but that is not much of a "jet" pump. Mine is 2HP for an 8' spa with 6 jets. You simply have too much head to move the water necessary to pull air down. How much trouble would it be to plumb in a jet pump in addittion to your circulation pump?
Reply to
gfretwell

while you're pump shopping get a 2-speed. with our 12,000 gallons above ground and no spa we run a 1-1/4 hp two speed. high speed great for vacuuming. watch for energy star ratings. somebody else in town has your setup. also see your local pool supply store.

Reply to
buffalobill