mounting a vessel sink

How would one mount a stone vessel sink onto a counter tiled with marble.

Presently I have tried a 5" hole which allows for the drain to come through but the sink is wobbly. I clamped down on the drain tube but the sink still wobbles because the drain is clamped beteewn two silicone washers preventing it from being held too tightly.

It seems they are just supposed to rest under their own weight with a little silicone bead perhaps.

Has anyone had experience setting one of these sinks. If you had one put in, can you describe the way it is attached to the counter. (pedistal or wall mount bracket need not reply, I don't have that situation).

The drain is very similar to this typical ebay model

Does any one have a link to a diagram or something. When I search, All I get is websites selling sinks or articals describing how they look but not how to install one.

Reply to
PipeDown

make a bigger hole so that it's more stable. bevel the edge so there's more contact between the counter and sink. use a little bit of silicone to glue it down, but still allow it to be removable.

Charles Spitzer

A 5" hole was or is to big. I decided where the sink went, had tile set (2") - leaving out one for the drain pipe. The sink sits on the tiled vanity, snuggled up by the drain pipe below ( I have to look).. a small bead of caulk, yes. The faucet was the same - one single hole and it stands beside the vessel sink.

The drain pipe does not have an overflow, so pick the right one.

Oren

Help me out here. Make a bigger hole to sit a vessel in: would it become a sink? My vessel sink looks most attractive sitting as a vessel on the vanity.

Oren

Oops, I meant it was a 3" hole. Much smaller and the hole would be smaller than the silicone gasket (2 3/8") or nut used to hold the drain onto the sink. I could have gone a bit smaller but I had a 3" hole saw already.

Looking at the odd shape of the silicone gasket (see 2nd 2 pix in the ebay link). It appears that maybe it serves a dual function; To seal the bottom of the bowl and (more to my need) aligns the sink into a hole and grips its sides.

Now I just need to figure out how to make the hole just a but smaller (-5/8"). Maybe I will make a tile doughnut (washer) for it to sit on.

Reply to
PipeDown

A vessel sink partially recessed in the counter would also look nice. I had considered that option.

Cutting a perfectly round hole through tile, thinset and 3/4" of plywood where there is already a sizable hole is a lot easier said than done.

Reply to
PipeDown

5 " or 3" does it wobble, maybe? A single hole for a non-overflow ( 1 1/4" guessing ) drain pipe will hold the sink as a vessel. Connect below. If you have tolerance move the hole.. IMHO the sink should not be recessed into the vanity.

Oren

Oren