I need to replace my pool pump as the bearing are gone and I am leary
of previous cavitation trouble. I have been to three different pool
stores and have been given three different recommendations. Now I want
the real answer, not just what they are trying to sell me.
20,000 gal pool
Pool/Spa combo with 4 spa jets
2" PVC supply lines
2" PVC return lines
Pump - currently a Pentair Whisperflo 1HP Full-rated 115/208-230 volt
(original equip from 1986)
Filter - Jandy CL460 Cartridge
Heater - Raypak RP2100 Natural Gas
Cleaner - Suction side Kreepy Krauler type
Equipment is located about 40 feet from the skimmer
Need to have a pump that is as quiet as possible as it is located right
under a window of our house.
Advice so far:
1. Replace only pump MOTOR and seal with same exact single speed 1 HP
Whisperflo motor. (Was told least expensive and all that needed to be
2. Replace entire pump with single speed 3/4 HP Full-rated Pentair
(Was told the larger pump size causes cavitation and is louder, and
that 3/4 is plenty strong enough for spa jets)
3. Replace entire pump with 1.5 HP Full-rated Pentair Whisperflo.
(Was told needed larger pump to match large filter size and decrease
4. Replace entire pump with 1 HP dual speed Pentair Whisperflo.
(Was told it is the quietest ,most energy efficient, but more likely to
malfunction early and much more expensive)
1. Is filter oversized? It is brand new, put in by the pool company
2. Which option above is best for this pool? Or other option even