Slo-Mo Looting

If you mean because of the roles he played, then he was also making people believe he was a real cowboy? He got much closer to action in Viet Nam than Al Gore.

Age of 34 in 1941. Niven was 31 at the same time. He found time to make two movies while serving during the war. Fairbanks Jr was 31 on Pearl Harbor day. He served in the Navy. If either earned any medals, they apparently didn't feel the need to advertise the fact.

The military has it's own set of awards/medals. The congressional Gold Medal is isn't one of them.

I think you have it backwards - it wasn't popular to be pro-war in the '60s and '70s.

Again, I think you have it backwards - Viet Nam wasn't real popular and being a supporter wasn't either.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Jimmy Stewart!!!

Charlie Self wrote:

Reply to
Eddie Munster

Yep, they failed to teach you how to read.

Reply to
George

Jeez, don't you guys read the papers. It's not if you served, but rather what party you belong to.

Didn't matter for Bush Sr. or Dole, but does for Kerry.

And that's General Stewart, sir! Loved him in Strategic Air Command.

Reply to
George

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

Unless I missed something, the Supreme Court recently re-affirmed these folks right to a trial. Keep in mind also that this only applies to US citizens. Foreign nationals are subject to the Geneva Convention. The failure to observe the Geneva Convention in this case is a disgrace on this administration, but a seperate issue altogether.

Well, winding up dead for petty theft would certainly qualify, which is what started this thread.

Reply to
Secret Squirrel

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

deadly force : the degree of force that might result in the death of the person the force is applied against.

If caught in the act and apprehended the theft has been prevented and yet there is still a suspect.

Leaving that aside, depends. Should a

Clearly

Should a "reasonable and

If he appears to be in distress, again clearly

Should a person who not a "law

I'd guess anyone over the age of 5 can recognize when someone is unable to breath. Recognizing that you're causing that distress by kneeling on his chest certainly seenms reasonable to me. Removing that knee certainly seems prudent.

Reply to
Secret Squirrel

"George" wrote in news:4124fa81 snipped-for-privacy@newspeer2.tds.net:

Ok.. I'm going to bite on this despite knowing better. In what way is my interpretation flawed?

Reply to
Secret Squirrel

And what relevance do medals have to serving? I know a bunch of good combat Marines who never got any medals who got nothing but PUCs and Good Conduct ribbons.

Speaking of age, Clark Gable, who served on bombers, was born in 1901. Gives him a leg up on super patriot doesn't it?

No shit. My point, exactly.

No, but I'd bet few of the antiwar protestors were apt to take a shot at Mr. Morrison.

Charlie Self

Yes. Does it make sense--and we're not talking 50 times here--for a company to pay its chairman 50 million bucks in a money losing year, while the guy emptying trash baskets gets 18 grand even though he does his job magnificently?

Not to me it doesn't.

What doesn't stop in government pockets tends to shift over to the pockets of their pals.

Charlie Self

The relavence is a recognition or their contributions, whether they were in the military or not. Guys like Bing Crosby and Bob Hope, like John Wayne, contributed immensely to troop morale through their USO involvement.

Yup, along with non military types like Crosby, Hope and Wayne:

Clark Gable - Captain, US Army Air Corps. Although beyond draft age, Clark Gable enlisted as a private in the Air Corps on Aug. 12, 1942 at Los Angeles. He attended Officers' Candidate School at Miami Beach and graduated as a second lieutenant. He then attended aerial gunnery school and in Feb. 1943, on personal orders from Gen. Arnold, went to England to make a motion picture of aerial gunners in action. He was assigned to the

351st Bomb Group at Polebrook and although neither ordered nor expected to do so, flew operational missions over Europe in B-17s to obtain the combat film footage he believed was required for producing the movie entitled "Combat America." Gable returned to the U.S. in Oct. 1943 and was relieved from active duty as a major on Jun. 12, 1944 at his own request, since he was over age for combat. [Source: US Air Force museum - wpafb.af.mil]

So what's the problem? I thought the left was of the opinion that _any_ medal can't be questioned.

No, but the Japanese and Viet Cong were likely to when he visited the front lines in the Pacific in WWII and Viet Nam.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Prisoners of war are subject to the Geneva Convention.

The Geneva Convention allows spies and saboteurs to be shot on sight.

You're saying that death is a cruel and unusual punishment? In any case, since the suspect died while being detained by civilians not in the employ of the US or any other government, that particular restriction does not apply--the constitution for the most part limits the powers of government, not of civilians. If I walk up to you and blow your brains out I have violated the law but the law I have violated is not part of the Constitution, it is part of the statutes of the locality in which I did this.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Now define it so that the "reasonable man" can tell if he's using it.

Weasel words.

I see. And on what basis should be be aware of this?

And if he has been struggling right along how does the officer determine whether the suspect is "in distress" or simply still trying to get away?

So what are the signs of being "unable to breathe while being knelt on by security guards"?

It's always easy for some guy sitting in an easy chair a thousand miles away to tell a guy who was there in the fight what he should have done. What you're doing is insisting that someone be jailed on the basis of your own Monday-morning quarterbacking.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 18:00:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@esper.com (Dave Mundt) calmly ranted:

(snippage throughout)

I said:

If we as a people could just make the first small step (as 25% of us voters did in '92) it would be the beginning of very good things. Consider the snowball effect, and we have a mighty big mountain of sh*t to start it rolling down...

Ayup. (See reference to Murray below.)

Yeah, and that makes me sick. Read Kaplan's "The Coming Anarchy" for even scarier information about our current misdirection. He shows what has happened (and will continue to happen) to countries which are subjected to democracy without having fought for it. Nasty! And if we keep propping up nastyarse gov'ts, we'll keep on getting Afghanistans and Iraqs, etc. (Stupid politicians.)

You mean "devolved", right? I'm reading Murray's "What It Means To Be a Libertarian" right now and am enthralled with his ideas. It's strongly suggested reading for everyone.

Yeah, go figure. And it'll bite us in the butts even more as we blend into our gray years. Hang on!

Ditto.

I used to be anti-gun but after doing a -lot- of reading, I found the truth: Guns are used in -saving- many more lives annually than they are in taking them. See "More Guns, Less Crime" by John Lott, "Targeting Guns: Firearms and Their Control" by Gary Kleck (anti-gun crusader who learned the truth and switched sides by presenting it in books), etc.

A freakin' Men!

Yeah, we really must START doing something about that THIS YEAR.

It would appear that 50% = 20% to them, eh?

Murray points out how there were vast changes already happening when the Civil Rights bills came out to enforce them. Then he shows how integration, etc. might have increased even more quickly without the governmental restrictions on all of that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------- Unfortunately, the term "Homo Sapiens" is a goal, not a description. ----

Web Design for YOUR Business!

Larry Jaques

Reply to
larry in cinci

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

Thats correct, and since the administration has labeled these people enemy combatants, they are by definition prisoners of war.

Also correct, however once taken into custody they become prisoners of war and enntitled to certain treatments which are still being withheld by this administration.

Reply to
Secret Squirrel

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

I can't imagine this being any more clear.

You made this an argument of semantics. I simply clarified your faulty logic.

Well, since it seems to be a common theme here, how about a little common sense? Failing that, law enforcement officers are subject to a signifigant amount of training. Proper restraint techniques are certainly part of this.

Gasping for air, convulsing and attempting to flee are hardly the same thing.

You're joking right?

I never insisted that anyone be jailed, perhaps you should have read the entire thread. I was simply pointing out the numerous inconsistencies and fallacies in the OP's statement.

Reply to
Secret Squirrel

....and yet the Supreme Court does just that on a regular basis. An Oligarchy of 9 folks appointed for life that can make laws by decree...and we pretend to be a nation of law, not men. BTW if you are on the more liberal side you can decry the Oligarchy decreeing the "appointment" of our current President. On the more conservative side, the Oligarchy "found" by decree a right to murde..ahhhh abort your bab...ahhh fetus. So this isn't just a left-right diatribe (although from the emphasis added to the preceding you can easily guess which way I lean).

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

That's a good one!! If I hire someone to "interpret" spanish for me and he tells me that "uno" means "take out the trash", he was NOT interpreting, he was just making it up. That is what judges do as far as I am concerned. When Supreme Court Justice Blackmum spoke approvingly about a "living Constitution" he was simply saying that he was happy that he did not have to abide by some document written and approved by some old white guys and that he (with the concurrance of 4 other Justices) could just make it up as they go and "pass laws" by decree. This is the very definition of a dictatorship - or more specifically an Oligarchy - 9 people in power for life that can make law by decree.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

'course, leon, one of it's functions is to keep you, and other idiots like you, in check. thank god it's there.

Reply to
bridger

snipped-for-privacy@nhsd.k.pa.us (David Hall) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Thats hardly the same thing. One is a case where there is a simple fact and a single word at that. The other is one where there is legislation that can run into hundreds of pages of not always crystal clear text.

That is what judges do as far

And yet the very concept of these 9 people appointed for life was created by those same "old white guys" Those same 9 people are appointed by the president. The president who, the last election not withstanding, was appointed by the majority of voters and only after approval by the Senate, again placed there by the voters.

Reply to
Secret Squirrel