Slo-Mo Looting

Reply to
Grant P. Beagles

That is not correct.

That is also not correct. Certain specific conditions must be met in order for a prisoner to be subject to the Geneva Conventions; these include serving in a regular army or organized militia, and wearing the uniform or insignia thereof. The terrorists whom we captured do not meet these conditions, and they are not protected by the G.C.

Doug Miller

Reply to
Eddie Munster

Where I found that implication was the following:

So how do we decrease that distance between the have's and the have-nots? This is where I was getting the feeling that Dave was implying that somehow we have to narrow that gap. One of the ways to do that is through government intervention and the perennial, "tax those who have benefited most from our society" in order to "help those who need it most".

BTW, I certainly agree with portions of the above paragraph -- people have allowed materialism to become their god. Thus more things translates to more happiness in such a mindset. At the same time, I don't believe that the lack of funds necessarily means that this drives people to steal. Lack of morality training is more of a contributor than lack of money.

... snip

Again, that comment about increasing extremities -- does this mean he wants the government to somehow, through regulation or taxation to decrease the extremes?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Leon,

You are falling into a trap. There seems to be some confusion here equating the act of *apprehending* a person suspected of committing a crime with an act of punishment for committing said crime. A jury conviction is not required to apprehend a suspected perpetrator of a crime. If the suspect resists apprehension, then reasonable force to effect that apprehension does not equate to punishment. If the perp (OK, the suspected perp) is allowed to resist and simply walk away, the amount of arrests for crimes will plummet and crime will skyrocket as criminals realize that with a slight amount of resistance they can escape, if they are careful to cover their tracks, they risk little chance of future apprehension.

Re-iterating: Apprehension is not punishment. Death because one has resisted being detained is not punishment, it is a consequence of one's actions. i.e., no resistance, no death, regardless of the ineptness of the one doing the detaining.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

... snip

David,

I apologize, I misinterpreted your remarks. I am somewhat sensitive to the attitude that the government should make sure that everybody are "equals" as opposed to "equal under the law" and took your comment on extremes in society in that light. Again, my apologies, I think you and I share very similar opinions.

Mark

I think what we are going to see here is simply nature taking its course. The builder generation is aging and the boomer generation is going to inherit the wealth they built -- some will be used for good, some not. But, the boomer generation is also aging -- as their heirs inherit, or as they spend their wealth, I think we will see that being redistributed as a function of the capitalist process. One thing that can be noticed is that second generation millionaires, with a few notable exeptions, have a notoriously bad reputation for being able to hold on to the wealth they have been given, rather than earned.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

... snip

Public policy instituted by judicial fiat, not by legislative action. The courts ruled that various municipalities *had* to enforce the judicially commanded desegregation by busing students from one area to another. In many cases, the judges also determined how many students were to be bused and from where. The judges certainly viewed what they were doing as a matter of law, they further overturned legislative actions and ordered that legislative bodies enact laws to implement their decrees. Doesn't sound much like public policy nor local government to me.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

But heard, half-heard in the stillness, Larry Jaques writes --

No, See:

Carl Nisarel

biased sources that you don't want people to know what they're blindly clicking on?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

But heard, half-heard in the stillness, Dave Hinz writes --

Long links.

The first is ?The Final Bullet in the Body of the More Guns, Less Crime Hypothesis? by John Donohue. It is an excellent summary of the work by Donohue and Ayers.

The second is Chris Mooney's "Double Barreled Double Standards" article that demonstrates Lott's blatent dishonesty in changing and back-dating models.

The third is a summary by Michael Maltz of the severe reliability problems with the UCR data used by Lott.

The fourth is Michelle Malkin's article on Lott's behavior last year.

The fifth is Tim Lambert's comprehensive summary of John Lott's unethical conduct over the past few years.

Nope.

Reply to
Carl Nisarel