Skew plane

The boss handed me three nice little wooden planes in quite nice condition--dusty and there's some very very light rust on the blades--he had 'em up on ebay for 5 bucks and nobody bit. Two are molding planes, the third one though I think is the real treasure, it looks to be a 1" skew shoulder or rabbet plane. Blade needs a bit of work--it's in good shape but the angle isn't quite right.

I plan to clean it up and get it into usable condition this weekend.

Any sage advice would be welcome.

Reply to
J. Clarke

tiredofspam

You mean besides "you suck"? ;)

cselby

Well, got the skew plane mostly cleaned up.

Iron was bent a little on the narrow part that the wedge grabs, and the wedge wasn't holding. Straightened that and the wedge started holding.

Angle on the iron wasn't quite right--no matter how I fitted it it stuck out a little more on one end. Looking at it it has obviously been recently machine ground, so I stuck it in the ol' 50 buck Harbor Fright Tormek clone, eyeballed the right angle, and let drive. Fitted it back when done and it was close enough. Went at with the the diamond stones and finished up with the super duper fine ceramic. Looked good.

Put it together, and gave it a shot. After much wanging back and forth I finally got it to where it would kind of cut a shaving.

I figured that my problem was that I was using too much hammer. Was going to make a little mallet just for the plane. Was in Harbor Fright and saw this little so and so and decided to give it a shot. Worked a treat--couldn't work better if it was purpose-made for adjusting planes--and it wasn't long before I was getting little kind of chewed up shavings from either side but couldn't get anything from the center.

Well, took a good square and a straighedge to it and found that the sole wasn't quite flat in any direction. Set the jointer for the smallest cut it would make (maybe 1/128) and took three passes and the sole was flat and perpendicular to one side in a couple of spots--turns out the sides aren't flat or parallel but that's a problem for another day.

So, gave it another shot--took about 30 seconds to get it adjusted where it was taking full-width shavings six inches long. Victory. And I now have a sweet little plane in need of a project.

Next weekend I guess I fix up the other two.

Reply to
J. Clarke