English Wooden Planes

Today, while passing through Greensboro, North Carolina, SWMBO and I stopped at an antique mall on Randleman Rd. They tout to be the largest antique mall in 8 states, however they are going out of business. Everything was

70% off. They have a large number of wooden planes, mostly English Sheffield brand. Most were orginally priced at $45 so they can be purchased for around $13.50 each. There were several smoothing planes, a few jointers, and a bunch of different types of molding planes.

I bought a 7 1/2" smoothing plane. It was in really good shape so obviously not too old. The iron had "Hearnshaw Bros.", and "Sheffield" stamped on it. On the front of the plane body is stamped "Zyto" and "reg" I think.. I suppose these peices could possibly not be orginal parts of the same plane. I paid $13.50 for it. I don't know what the value of it is, I just liked the looks of it.

Perhaps I have passed up the bargain of the century but I don't know the value of these planes.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

I don't know values but that is a good price. If you took a good look at the blade, does it have a cap iron mounted with a screw? Also is the blade laminated? If so that is awesome quality, other than monitary value.

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK