drawings of wooden planes

I am thinking of making myself an item I believe is called a scraper plane; a short block plane with a blade at or nearly at 90deg vertical for difficult grain. Would i find a good drawing as a starting point online somewhere? where? I see there are a few youtubes of plane making, some of them good. TW

Reply to
TimW

Konrad Sauer makes some lovely hand planes. Check out his photo galleries and get inspired :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

My first thought is that plane making is an old technology that has been perfected over decades, and that you should take advantage of it if you are going to make some. Not really a book on plane *making*, but Garrett Hack's book, "The Handplane Book", made me fall in love with handplanes. I just looked it up to figure out whether "handplane" is supposed to be one word or two, and noticed that it is currently $82 (ouch) at Amazon. Your local library probably has a copy! I noticed they had several books on "plane making" for under $20.

If your scraper plane is supposed to produce a "ribbon", as I expect, then I think that the "details" (involving the tongue and chip breaker etc.) will be critical to its performance.

One last thought. You've probably already thought about this, but just in case, it probably makes sense to get the blade first and then build a plane that will accommodate it. I hope you will share how your "project" works out! Good luck and have fun!

Reply to
Bill

A scraper plane is a speciallized plane, that when tuned properly, produces small curlicues (and if not properly tuned, dust).

The blade is held close to vertical with respect to the surface.

A google image search for "wooden scraper plane" turns up many possibilites to use as a general pattern.

Here are some blades:

Scott Lurndal

TimW snipped-for-privacy@nothanks.com on Mon, 31 Oct 2022 11:39:24 +0000 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Sounds like you want a tool for holding a scraper.

The trick here is getting the proper edge on the scraper. Basically, you want to roll the edge of the scraper to put a fine burr on the blade. (ASCII art follows) | | | | | L

the L is where the edge has been "pushed over" making the burr which does the actual "scrape" to remover wood fibers.

Scraper planes just hold the scraper at the proper angle vertically to have that L engage the wood. Easier on the thumbs.

If you google on scraper blade planes you find all sort of images. Personally, this week, I'm not doing enough to justify the hassle of setting up a scraper plane. Next month is another subject.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Do a little research for Steve Knight planes. I have one of his and it is a joy to use. The blade is very important too.

Ed Pawlowski

I have a couple he made for me, his site is no longer active. They leave a real nice planed finish rather than a sanded one.

Reply to
Markem618

Unfortunately I don't think Steve is in business anymore. I used to sell him the Ipe "frogs" for his planes 20 years ago but I think he switched over to providing the planes as a kit. And I have not seen anything from him in a very long time.

Reply to
Leon

OTOH, the OP was looking for a drawing as a starting point. He could get some good ideas from photos of Knight planes for style and proportion.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Absolutely, If you can get detailed multi angled pictures.

Reply to
Leon

Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> on Wed, 2 Nov 2022 07:55:21 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Do you guys need complete orthographic projection drawings to make everything, or can you draw up your own "working" drawings based on what you've seen and how you figure it ought to go?

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Something like this maybe:

Michael

That will give you the idea.

(Tangent: I'm not sure there really is a need for the 25 degree bevel. I could be wrong, but ...)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

that's helpful, thanks. TW

Reply to
TimW

I know what you are talking about but I am after something else. Like when you take the iron out of a plane and scrape with it: no burr and not at an oblique angle but scraping with it at 90 degrees.

Tim W

Reply to
TimW

Hmmm. Maybe that's why mine "doesn't work".

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

The off-the-shelf version would be this:

dims of a 6" block plane with a solid plane blade, not a bendy spring steel cabinet scraper, mounted near to 90deg with no chip breaker.

I can work it out. I think I will buy an old beech plane off of ebay and cut my 6" off the end. I may be able to re use the handle or other bits.

TW

Reply to
TimW