Sears Routers....

A few years back I acquired a Sears router with the two mounts plunge and rigid. I would like to be able to mount it in my router table. It sure looks like a Bosch 1617 model and am wondering if Bosch built some of Sears routers. I am thinking the Bosch RA1165 base will crossfit. Does anyone have a list or knowledge with this. Thanks...

Bob Alexander

Reply to
Bob/Barb Alexander

The easiest way to tell is to remove the bases and try them. I had a couple of routers over the years that were close, but didn't quite fit. Sears in particular like to sell proprietary products so that you will buy accessories (Genuine Sears Craftsman!) from Sears when you need them.

That doesn't mean that one of the million models of routers that Sears has put out over the last decades won't have the same pattern as another router. After all, Sears does job out their manufacturing.

Give it a try; what do you have to lose but a few minutes?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

If it was a few years back it could well be a Bosch--they went through a spell where "Craftsman Professional" was repackaged Bosch.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Bob/Barb Alexander wrote the following:

I don't know who makes the router, but the first 3 numbers followed by a period in the model number is the code for the actual manufacturer. There are sites on the web that have the codes for Sears/Kenmore appliances, but I haven't come across one for tools. Appliances -

willshak

On 3/11/2011 7:30 AM, willshak wrote: ...

is one I know of...generally stuff there is reasonably well researched altho I don't have any clue how accurate this particular list is (or may not be).

--

Reply to
dpb

"Bob/Barb Alexander" wrote in news:i9CdnRVZlunfPuTQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bright.net:

It's certainly possible. Sears might even be willing to tell you if you get a friendly support person on the phone AND they no longer sell the bases. Sears comes up with a set of specs & ideas for their tools, and puts them out to bid. They always like to have a feature or two (beyond the color scheme) that makes their tools stand out. All the big tool manufactuers bid on the job, and somebody gets the contract for a a year or two, including a certain number of spare parts.

That's where the catch is. If the design has a problem, after a few years, all the spare parts to fix it get used up. You are screwed UNLESS you can find the original manufacturer AND it's not one of the Sears specific dohickeys.

A buddy of mine had a Sears electric drill and the speed control died after a year or two. It turns out it was a defective design, and all the spares were long gone. The Sears support guy told him it was actually made by Skill, and he took the drill to the local Skill repair place. Skill used the same trigger in their drills, and had fixed the design flaw. They sold him a replacement trigger that dropped right in & works to this day.

Others are not so lucky, which is why I almost never buy a Sears power tool.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Yes some years back the Craftsman router that looks exactly like a Bosch

1617 router was indeed a Bosch router with a different color and name plate. IIRC it had red parts instead of blue.
Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Bob/Barb Alexander

I have owned a Bosch 1617 set for several years. I saw one of the Sears versions in the store and, other than "styling" details, they appear to be pretty similar. Granted I didn't have both to compare in the store but it is worth a try.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Reply to
-MIKE-

A few years back I acquired a Sears router with the two mounts plunge and rigid. I would like to be able to mount it in my router table. It sure looks like a Bosch 1617 model and am wondering if Bosch built some of Sears routers. I am thinking the Bosch RA1165 base will crossfit. Does anyone have a list or knowledge with this. Thanks...

Links exist that will tell you who made any Sears item. This one is pretty complete, but look around if it does not have what you need.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans