Sketchup Question

or manifest itself as a source of inspiration.

Reply to
Robatoy

Looks pretty cool. I like the ideal of the link to Youtube rather than e-mailing the file.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks Karl!

Reply to
Steve Turner

Looks good Karl. Really easy to understand. And the announcer has a charming sourthern accent. Ne need to hire another.

The different perspectives of the kitchen was really compelling and would impress many folks. From a pure marketing perspective, this would be something to emphasize. Any way you can do a little show and tell with the technical wizardy of Skeptchup, you should do it. Things that come to mind are;

  1. Let people know that you can download a "show and tell" presentation onto their own computer. If you can make an independent presentation, it can do all kinds of warm and fuzzy interaction with the client without you being there. And they can run around and do some show and tell on behalf of your company. Alway include contact info on your presentations.
  2. Emphasize customability and personalization. Does the missus like to bake? Does the family need a freezer nearby? Another sink? Is anybody real short or tall? Liquor and/or wine storage/display. Small children. Etc. And then create the best of options presentation. Do some variations that really off the customization.

Remember, when people make money decisions, they like to make choices. They don't like to be railroaded into one option. Give them choices. Even if you know what they are going to do ahead of time, they will appreciate it that you gave them some choices. Part of that "gentle hand" marketing.

  1. I like the narration. It adds to the presentation and allows you to say things that may not be apparent to the layperson. Keep it simple and homey. That puts folks at ease. They don't want to buy from a high pressure salesman. Nor do most people trust "marketing speak".
  2. Create a reference library. Some folks really like to do their homework. If you have a number of presentations all ready to go, that goes a long way towards make folks comfortable about talking to you and asking you to draw something up for them.

This is different than references, photos or a resume. This show you in a thinking, designing, customization capacity. High tech tools, yet simple enough that they can be displayed easily and understood by almost anyone. You can't go wrong with that approach. Particularly since you have all the other traditional things to back this sort of thing up.

5 Create some kind of initial response form. Keep it simple. Make it easy for people to get a hold of you. Leave it open to what specifically you can do. (You are versatile. You can do anything, right?)
  1. Create a suggestions form and procedure. You want to hear all their ideas. This created talking points for you in your preseentation. You can include and/or exclude specific suggestions and give reasons why. By intercting directly with their suggestions, you are responding specically to their concerns. People like that.
  2. Sketchup is a tool that is very accessable. Big buck CAD programs could not do what you are doing with this, particlarly in terms of making it simple for the customer. Make this a selling point. "We don't wanna pay the big bucks and spend all that time on the traditional approaches. So we use sketchup. " This is contemporary, low cost tool that allow a high level of creativity and service. And you are doing it.

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head.

Gotta run. Keep up the good work Karl.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Lee, mon ami ... can't tell you how much I appreciate your above input!

It is being printed and will come with me to the meeting in Austin later this week where we are discussing these very same issues.

Thank you VERY much for taking the time and effort to respond in such a valuable manner, really crystallized many of the thoughts I hadn't put into words yet ... I owe you one/two/or more, Bubba! :)

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

Thank you sir.

You are one of the good guys.

Happy to help.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 12:15:15 -0600, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

So you're out on bail? Cool toot, Perfesser.

-- Society is produced by our wants and government by our wickedness. --Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 17:01:56 -0600, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

them on your own website. Then when they sent friends to look, they can see your work, too, and the rest of your offerings. If you don't have a website now, try hosting with Lunar Pages. Minimalist at $3/mo, more stuff at $8/mo, $6/mo if you buy a few years at a time. I do the latter.

You don't pay more but I get a bonus from your signup if you use my link there. I've been working with LP with other clients for 5 years and now have both my websites hosted there. Good folks.

YouTube sez: "The URL contained a malformed video ID."

Get that announcer voice lessons, Karl. He sounds like a damned Texican. That simply _can't_ be good for business.

-- Society is produced by our wants and government by our wickedness. --Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I was really impressed with the first one. If the second one was other then pictures of the final installation I'm really impressed. I think your steps ahead of your competitors in a tough market.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

... snip

Looks pretty neat, but I was disappointed that there was no scenery behind that window and that you didn't show what was in the cabinets or drawers.

Heh, I *know* someone who sounds just like him. I'd do business with the person on the other end of that voice. :-)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

capture program.

Reply to
upscale

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 03:52:23 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com scrawled the following:

How much better is it than the free screen cap included with Windows? Is it really worth $50?

-- Society is produced by our wants and government by our wickedness. --Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The same old signature block I've had for years ... :)

I haven't noticed a problem on a couple of computers, but I'll check it out. Thanks ...

You might be right about that.

Reply to
Swingman

Video, and the way it interleaves the audio is what did it for me ... you can waste way more than $50 in time getting the audio and video synched and working correctly, and then the next time it's the same battle again, ad infinitum.

Reply to
Swingman

the second sentence?

Reply to
Swingman

I was assuming that Part 2 was pictures of the final project after installation as oppossed to a sketchup version. And yes the kitchen looks spectacular. If the second one is sketchup then I'm blown away by what you can do.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Ahhsoo ... no the second is the real thing. Probably the lousy photography threw you. :)

Reply to
Swingman

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 05:55:53 -0800, Larry Jaques

I haven't used Windows capture so I can't answer that question. But for Snagit I'd say it's easily worth $50 if I was to base my usage of it on price. With Snagit, one can capture fixed regions, scrolling regions (for a window that you'd normally have to scroll down to see all of it), windows, active windows and much more. You can output to about a dozen different file types. You can change resolutions, edit colours and more. It even comes with a built in instruction guide which is reasonably comprehensive.

I've got a Snagit shortcut locked onto my task bar for instant use when I want to capture something. Out of all the utility programs I use, I'd say that Snagit is near the top when it comes to usefulness. I'd guess that I use it several times every day. I also find it extremely useful when backing up settings such as capturing all the steps to setting up my Internet connections. A dozen captures or so, add them all to a pdf file and put that somewhere safe. A picture show gives so much more information than a simple text instruction guide.

Reply to
upscale

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 08:25:01 -0600, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

I knew that. (I just didn't remember it. See, guys? When you form your signatures properly and they don't get sucked into the reply, people forget! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.)

I think you gave the repaired URL in a later message with the note "My T-bird ate my URL." or sumpin'.

I was kidding. You have a good, clear, and friendly presentation voice, Karl.

-- Society is produced by our wants and government by our wickedness. --Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

He has an accent.

Reply to