Shopsmith vs. Supershop multi

Does anyone have any opinions about how the two multi tool units compare?

Reply to
Gary

I'm kinda partial to the ShopSmith since this is what started me into the woodworking world. It's handy for what it was designed for. Setups are kind of a pain in the ass but if you have the time then that should not really be a problem. One nice thing with a shopsmith around, when you do decide to add equipment to the shop you will always have a lathe or a drill press or vertical boring machine or a 10" sanding disk or whatever attachment you decide to get with it. Not familiar with the Supershop.

Rich

Reply to
EvoDawg

This question is posed periodically on the ssusers group on Yahoogroups. There is one gentleman there that owned a Shopsmith and sold it to get a Supershop (the current version), he stated that the quality was poor, the fit & finish is poor, etc. He sold it at a substantial loss and bought another Shopsmith. Obviously this is second hand info, so you may want to join the ssusers group (go to yahoogroups.com and follow the sign-up instructions) and ask the question directly or search the groups archives.

It should be noted that the original Supershop from the 1970's or early 1980's was american made and of substantially better quality. Unfortunately, that came at a cost too high for the owner to stay in business. Smithy bought the rights and subbed it out to lower cost manufacturers. If you can find an original, it might be worthwhile as there are some nice aspects to the design as opposed to the Shopsmith design. Lastly, I believe that Smithy is dropping the Supershop so future support may be an issue. You can't get better customer support than that provided by Shopsmith - and their prices reflect that ;)

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

I don't know anything about supershop, but I have a few friends that have shopsmiths and they seem pleased with them. I have aquired and old stand alone Magna table saw that was made by shopsmith so i have been on the Shopsmith website to check the avilability of parts and seems like they have everything you would ever need for the multi tools (but not the tablesaw). EBAY also have many shopsmith parts and accessories that could come in handy.

If anyone with a shopsmith set up that may want a stand alone ts (needs a motor) that would use the shopsmith blade set ups let me know. I posted some pic of the ts on

yesterday if you would like to see it.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Cox