Shop Wall and Electric

That may pass in the USA but not in the Canadian electrical code.

Wire markings must be continuous down the whole length of the conductor. That was brought in a few versions ago. White is acceptable for a live line though. Happens on most 120v circuits with a switched light anyway.

Reply to
Josepi

...and this has exactly what to do with anything I've said?

How many tools do you know that need a neutral? I suppose there are some with 120V lights, but there is a significant cost difference between /2 and /3 cable.

Reply to
keithw86

Sorry, that was unclear. I meant that *failure* to mark the white as hot is a Code violation.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Apparently I misthreaded on the last one.

While we are giving out advise to run way too much copper everywhere for an under 15 amp woodworking shop in a garage...

Running the 3 conductor now would be cheaper than opening the walls to run it later because he wants a 120v dust collector or a block heater for his car in that corner.

On Jul 6, 7:55 am, "Josepi" wrote: I would run a 12/3 or 10/3 cable to have a neutral in case I wanted to install a device needing a neutral in a mind or usage change, later on. Then you would have red and black for hots and white for neutral, bare for ground.

Reply to
Josepi

I musta missed that thread. Who in their right mind would plan on running an entire shop on 15A? Who would use a 15A circuit for anything other than lighting?

Just make sure there are plenty of *20A* circuits around. Last I checked 12/3 was about 2x the cost of 12/2. Nope, not buying it.

Reply to
krw

-------------------------------- "Romex" does not define wire gauge, but rather a type of multi-conductor cable and insulation system.

10-2 /W/ ground Romex is readily available.

--------------------------------- I have to ask, what are the 120V loads on your tablesaw and welder?

If you truly have the bare earth ground conductor wired as a neutral conductor, you have an unsafe condition waiting to bite you in the ass.

OTOH, if you using the bare earth ground conductor for it's intended purpose, you are good to go.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett