Tyvek wrap required for shop?

We just finished framing a new garage/shop (had to give the wife part of it for her van). This garshop is detached from our house. I do plan to insulate and heat the shop area. How important, if at all, is it to install the Tyvek wrap around the exterior walls for this application?

todd

Reply to
todd

Providing you put it on correctly it will keep moisture from penetrating from small leaks in your wall and will let inside moisture out. I would put some kind of vapor barrier on and Tyvek does not smell like the typical tar paper when it gets hot.

Reply to
Leon

Not required, but strongly suggested. It provides a good barrrier against air and water, especially if it'll be a while before siding is installed. Personally, I prefer TYPAR as it seems to hold up longer than TYVEK while exposed. Don't forget to get tape for the seams and there are also flashing tapes to use around window and door openings. You can staple it on with a tack hammer, but if it'll be a while before you install the exterior siding, use a few button cap nails to prevent the wrap from coming off. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Important if you are going to insulate and heat it. The primary purpose of Tyvek is to eliminate air infiltration and that can be nearly as important to comfort as insulation is. Second is to stop liquid water infiltration, while allowing the building to breath.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon