Air Conditioning for Stand-Alone Garage

I?m going to buy a house next month with a separate garage that I w ant to make into a workshop and music practice area. The building inspecti ons were yesterday and there?s no insulation in the garage attic so the guy said the walls probably don?t have any either. He said it would be an easy matter to blow foam in the attic but holes would have to be cut in the walls to insulate them. I?m considering doing both. Do you agree this should be done? What would be a typical cost for that?

I measured the dimensions of the inside of the garage and it is 4400 cu fee t. This Sunday, the wether forecast is for clear skies and 95 degrees. If I use that for the load, how many BTUs of cooling are needed to make it co mfortable in a reasonable amount of time inside the garage? Is that how I should size the system?

The garage has power but not 220V at this time. Will I need that?

The cooling season here in New Orleans is around 9 months. Over 20 years, will the extra cost of a compressor and air handler pay for itself in reduc ed operating costs compared to a window unit? What would you do if you wan ted to make a garage comfortable year round?

Reply to
Bob Simon

(This is the fourth time I've tried to post this message so if older ones a ppear at some point, please respond to THIS thread and I'll delete the othe rs.)

I?m going to buy a house next month with a separate garage that I w ant to make into a workshop and music practice area. The building inspecti ons were yesterday and there?s no insulation in the garage attic so the guy said the walls probably don?t have any either. He said it would be an easy matter to blow foam in the attic but holes would have to be cut in the walls to insulate them. I?m considering doing both. What do you think? Do you have any idea what this would typically cost?

I measured the dimensions of the inside of the garage and it is 4400 cu fee t. This Sunday, the weather forecast is for clear skies and 95 degrees. I f I use that for the load, how many BTUs of cooling are needed to make it c omfortable inside the garage in a reasonable amount of time?

The garage has power but not 220V at this time. Will I need that?

The cooling season here in New Orleans is around 9 months. Over 20 years, will the extra cost of a compressor and air handler pay for itself in reduc ed operating costs compared to a window unit?

Any other thoughts on this project?

Reply to
Bob Simon

(This is the fifth time I?ve tried to upload this message so if the others show up eventually, please respond to this thread and I?ll delete the others.)

I?m going to buy a house next month with a separate garage that I w ant to make into a workshop and music practice area. The building inspecti ons were yesterday and there?s no insulation in the garage attic so the guy said the walls probably don?t have any either. He said it would be an easy matter to blow foam in the attic but holes would have to be cut in the walls to insulate them. I?m considering doing both. Do you agree that I should? Do you have any idea what this would typicall y cost?

I measured the dimensions of the inside of the garage and it is 4400 cu fee t. This Sunday, the weather forecast is for clear skies and 95 degrees. I f I use that for the load, how many BTUs of cooling are needed to make it c omfortable inside the garage in a reasonable amount of time?

The garage has power but not 220V at this time. Will I need that?

The cooling season here in New Orleans is around 9 months. Over 20 years, will the extra cost of a compressor and air handler pay for itself in reduc ed operating costs compared to a window unit?

Any other thoughts on this project?

Reply to
Bob Simon

(I?ve tried to upload this message several times so if any others a ppear, please respond to this thread and I?ll delete the others.)

I?m going to buy a house next month with a separate garage that I w ant to make into a workshop and music practice area. The building inspecti ons were yesterday. There?s no insulation in the garage attic so t he guy said the walls probably don?t have any either. He said it w ould be an easy matter to blow foam in the attic but holes would have to be cut in the walls to insulate them. I?m considering doing both. D o you agree that I should? Do you have any idea what this would typically cost?

I measured the dimensions of the inside of the garage and it is 4400 cu fee t. If it's sunny and 95 degrees outside, how many BTUs of cooling are need ed to make it comfortable inside the garage in a reasonable amount of time?

[...]

The inside of the garage is 4400 cu feet. If it's sunny and 95 degrees out side, how many BTUs of cooling are needed to make it comfortable inside the garage in a reasonable amount of time?

The garage has power but not 220V at this time. Will I need that?

The cooling season here in New Orleans is around 9 months. Over 20 years, will the extra cost of a compressor and air handler pay for itself in reduc ed operating costs compared to a window unit?

Any other thoughts on this project?

Reply to
Bob Simon

(I?ve tried to upload this message several times so if any others a ppear, please respond to this thread and I?ll delete the others.)

I?m going to buy a house next month and the building inspections we re yesterday. There's a separate garage that I want to make into a worksho p and music practice area. There?s no insulation in the garage a ttic so the guy said the walls probably don?t have any either. He said it would be an easy matter to blow foam in the attic but holes would h ave to be cut in the walls to insulate them. I?m considering doing both. Do you agree that I should? Do you have any idea what this would t ypically cost?

The inside of the garage is 4400 cu feet. If it's sunny and 95 degrees out side, how many BTUs of cooling are needed to make it comfortable inside the garage in a reasonable amount of time?

The garage has power but not 220V at this time. Will I need that?

The cooling season here in New Orleans is around 9 months. Over 20 years, will the extra cost of a compressor and air handler pay for itself in reduc ed operating costs compared to a window unit?

Any other thoughts on this project?

Reply to
Bob Simon

OK, here is your response. Now you can stop posting. I don't have an answer to your questions, but you can stop posting the same item now.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

The insullation is a very good idea. Also weatherstripping. If you don't plan to use the garage door, you may consider insulation and vapor barrier there also.

How many amps of 120 VAC do you have?

The energy efficiency is based (in large part) on what type of compressor. Many window units have rotary (good) compressor, and many split systems have piston type (bad) compressors.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think the insullation is a good idea. Also, if there is a garage door (not used for cars) then insulation and vapor barrier is a good idea.

How many amps of 120 VAC do you have?

Are you willing to consider a window AC? I would.

Efficiency is based, in large part, on type of compressor. Window unit may be better.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've tried to reply to your message several times. Please let me know if this comes through.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

rs appear, please respond to this thread and I?ll delete the others .)

s were yesterday. There's a separate garage that I want to make into a wor kshop and music practice area. There?s no insulation in the gara ge attic so the guy said the walls probably don?t have any either. He said it would be an easy matter to blow foam in the attic but holes wou ld have to be cut in the walls to insulate them. I?m considering d oing both. Do you agree that I should? Do you have any idea what this wou ld typically cost?

outside, how many BTUs of cooling are needed to make it comfortable inside the garage in a reasonable amount of time?

rs, will the extra cost of a compressor and air handler pay for itself in r educed operating costs compared to a window unit?

I got your three replies. Thanks for your recommendation to insulate. The re is a big door next to the alley for cars plus a regular-size door for pe ople on the house side. Since we're not going to use the garage for cars, I think we'll rarely open the big door.

I don't know how many amps go to the garage. One or more 15A circuits from the main panel go to another box. From there the wires go via buried cond uit to the garage. If I need more power, I presume the additional wires ca n be pulled through the existing conduit.

All my old messages finally made it. Some more may still arrive later. It 's odd that it took 24 hours for the first one to show up.

Reply to
Bob Simon

[...]

Ok, let's work backward. 4400 ft3. = 22x20x10 K, now I can picture it. Its one big room. If there is a window available, window unit would be my choice. You can get a 8K BTU one for $150. I'd put insulation in the ceiling, forget about the walls until you have some bills, it may not be worth it. Next step up would be a minisplit, but they cost a lot more. For $150, what do you have to lose?

Reply to
trader_4

Agree, but I'd go bigger on the AC

Do you need 220V? Depends on what you plan to do and what equipment you have in the workshop.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

just buy a goodman furnace withAC

they work excellent, are very affordable.

Reply to
bob haller

Sure, just get a $3,000 system instead of a $150 window unit. Very affordable.

How big a furnace does he need in New Orleans when 80% of the year is AC. Would 100,000 BTU be sized about right?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why have a furnace in a garage ln New Orleans???

Reply to
clare

Mabee - just to get enough A/C capacity

Reply to
clare

[...]

Actually, it's an 8' ceiling but you have the right idea. There are two wi ndows so, yes, a window unit could work.

Reply to
Bob Simon

That chart was very helpful. Now I know that I should be looking at 12,000-14,000 BTU window units. Thanks!

Reply to
Bob Simon

As far as AC goes, I can honestly recommend portable standing AC's that roll up to a window on wheels. I LOVE the 2 I have. They're quiet, and they're easy to take care of, and do great keeping the room cool.

Reply to
Muggles