Rifle Stock Update

If you're not making a rocket, it ain't rocket science.

Reply to
J T

Getting kind of high tech with this web site ain't you? Looks nice. How many Dr. Pepper cans have you killed with the Joatgun?

Reply to
Gerald Ross

I am a city dweller now and the family farm where I used to shoot off the front porch is a 4 hour drive. When I was on the farm I had a local welder cut me out several prairie dog, squirrel and rabbit shaped targets out of 1/4 inch sheets of cold rolled steel. I made some strap steel hangers with a hole in the top that I could slip on a U shaped electric fence post. The targets would hang straight down and when hit would spin around the post ( a hint here: to keep them from swinging off the sides duct tape some flat washers on the sides of the strap to keep them spinning straight). I had several of these set out at ranges from 50 yards to 300. With a .22 Long Rifle the 50 yard targets would take hundreds of hits before I needed to pound them flat again on an anvil. The targets farther out would probably last forever if all you ever shot them with was a .22 Long Rifle. I learned very quickly that a hit from my .357 Magfnum turned these things into helicopters and you would have to look all over the pasture to find them. So the rule for the kids was "NOTHING BIGGER THAN A .22LR". These targets would not be safe in a crowded area but when the nearest neighbor was 3 miles in any direction they were perfect. If I was still on the farm I would have several Osama targets made up for sure.

Dennis

Reply to
TwoGuns

Sat, Nov 4, 2006, 7:08am snipped-for-privacy@netcommander.com (Gerald=A0Ross) doth sayeth: Getting kind of high tech with this web site ain't you? Looks nice. How many Dr. Pepper cans have you killed with the Joatgun?

I take it you very low idea of high tech. None so far. Theypre building all over the place around here, all the places I used to shoot are either subdivisions now, so close to one can shoot there now, or just plain off-limits. A bit sad. I've put out a feeler or two for a farmer that will let me shoot, but nothing so far. Looks like I'll have to hunt up an indoor range, or maybe try Ft Bagg, if they still have a range available.

JOAT If you're not making a rocket, it ain't rocket science.

Reply to
J T

Sat, Nov 4, 2006, 5:05am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@neb.rr.com (TwoGuns) doth sayeth: Some of those targets are inspirational. I've added a couple more, but don't think I'll bother putting up more. I've got a page of probably over a hundred links saved, any thing from 25' to 1000 yard bullseye targets, and all sorts of other targets.

When I was a kid we used to be able to go into the back yard and shoot. Mostly .22 rifles, but occassionally up to 30-06. Long ago, and a different world. Used to be able to shoot around here, but too many subdivisions now for that. However, I can get away with air-rifle shooting. Found this link awhile back.

I figure I may make a few, with different figures, and put some out in the yar, out to maybe

100 feet or so.

Picked up a Chinese air rifle some time back at one of those traveling tool shows, for something over $20. Under barrel cocking lever, single c*ck, .177. Figured it'd be suited to shooting down my hall. Hah! Shot the thing at a 55 gallon barrel I had sitting in the yard. The damn pellet wound up even with the surface of the barrel. I don't mean it flattened and bounced off, I mean it punched a dent in the barrel and was even with the barrel surface. Damn. That thing is the most potent air rifle I've ever seen. Could be dangerous in the wrong hands. Later picked up a .22 version for just over $30. They tend to look similar to a Chinese military rifle, and the wood isn't fantastic, but the metal is awesome. I understand the company that makes them started out making air rifles as trainers for the military - so they didn't dare put out shoddy work. Whatever the story, they are good. Later I think I'll put a cheekrest on at least one, and scope it - figure it should be good to a minimum of 50 yards, hopefully close to

100.. Heh heh, I've got a .20 Sheridan I've had for years and years, and awhile back managd to get remanufactured versions in .177 and .22, for about $75 each. Now if I can just spare enough for ..20 and .22 Seridan pistols.

JOAT If you're not making a rocket, it ain't rocket science.

Reply to
J T

Interesting cheek rest, seems like the plywood end grain would abrade your cheek a bit unless you have it filled really well and sanded silky-smooth.

Don't know if it'd bother you but those clamp-on plastic bipods tend to wear the blue off your barrel over time. (My poor 10/22 can attest to that.)

What'd you use for the palm swell grip, wood putty?

BTW the links for targets number 19 and 21 have four question marks "????" at the end of the link reference that makes them not work correctly. Just need to remove the "????"s

Hope Santa brings you a new camera. :-)

Mike Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson

If you put a bipod on it should it not attach to the stock since the barrel is free floated. Then when using the bipod the is no barrel flex. Just my

2 cents....

mike

Reply to
Michael S

Sat, Nov 4, 2006, 1:58pm snipped-for-privacy@spamtrapmindspring.com (Mike=A0Patterson) doth typeth: Interesting cheek rest, seems like the plywood end grain would abrade your cheek a bit unless you have it filled really well and sanded silky-smooth. Don't know if it'd bother you but those clamp-on plastic bipods tend to wear the blue off your barrel over time. (My poor 10/22 can attest to that.) What'd you use for the palm swell grip, wood putty?

The cheekrest is sanded very smooth, don't figure I'll have any problem with it

Bipod. Already past that. If I decide I want one, I'll probably make one, using camera tripod legs, and fasten it to either the forearm or handrest.

The pistol grip was formed out of wood putty - unfortunately not near the quality of that I used years back to make a pair of custom revolver grips. That was a house gun, and the grips (after a LOT of time and work) pointed exactly where I pointed my arm, no need for "aiming". Alas, I sold it, and regretted it ever since.

The palm rest is a 5" bold glued in a wooden ball (courtesy of my ex). Found anothe ball and made another earlier today using a 3" bolt. Smaller than I'd wanted, but they seem to work well, and being as I won't be shooting competion, no prob.

JOAT If you're not making a rocket, it ain't rocket science.

Reply to
J T

Sat, Nov 4, 2006, 6:59pm (EST+5) ms snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Michael=A0S) doth sayeth: If you put a bipod on it should it not attach to the stock since the barrel is free floated. Then when using the bipod the is no barrel flex.

See my previous respone, plus I've changed the web page too.

JOAT If you're not making a rocket, it ain't rocket science.

Reply to
J T

Sat, Nov 4, 2006, 1:58pm snipped-for-privacy@spamtrapmindspring.com (Mike=A0Patterson) did sayeth: BTW the links for targets number 19 and 21 have four question marks "????" at the end of the link reference that makes them not work correctly. Just need to remove the "????"s Hope Santa brings you a new camera. :-)

I think I shipped this portion off when I replied. This has been covered now, just forgot to cover it when I typed the page. Re-check the link, at the top.

I think you guys should take up a collection and buy me one. Personally I don't plan on buying another one until I get a new girlfriend.

JOAT If you're not making a rocket, it ain't rocket science.

Reply to
J T

JOAT ... it's presently 1:33 am EDT on Nov. 5 and the question marks are still there / back.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Sun, Nov 5, 2006, 6:37am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@line.net (Bill) did burble: JOAT ... it's presently 1:33 am EDT on Nov. 5 and the question marks are still there / back.

And just exactly what part of: "Any bitching about mis-spelled words, links not working, or anything else, and I may immediately change the link, thus denying access." on my page did you not understand? It's about 10:30 AM here now, the link has not been, and will not be changed. Any more remarks about the questions marks, which were not, and will not be, removed, and I'll change the link, then you won't have to worry about it.

This is just the type of thing that made me change the links to the rest of my web pages. I work to find links for myself, and sometime that takes a lot of work. What I post on rec.woodworking is side-effects and I seldom save those. So, you might say I'm not genuinely appreciative when someone whines about a bad link on one of my web pages, and expects "me" to change it, or find another, for "their" benefit. Those people probably still believe in the Tooth Fairy too.

To put it politely, I didn't make any changes to the @#$in' links and I'm not about to. I'll leave the page up, for now; at least until I post pictures of the finish. Then I'll probably leave it up for a week or two, and chang it later, or until I get someone with more comments on the links, whichever comes first.. Yeah, I know, it's a real hoot to say something - but then when I change the link, it cuts "everyone" off, not just you. That's happened before.

JOAT If you're not making a rocket, it ain't rocket science.

Reply to
J T

I will elaborate a bit. I know my rifle isn't to a lot of people's taste. No prob, 'cause I did it to please me. But I figure a few're going to be interested, and may want to try something like it on their own. So if you want to make some fun of the rifle, no prob.

The target links on the rifle page were on my Targets web page, not searched out specifically for this thread. I'm willing to put in a lot of time and effort finding links for my own use. I've spent several weeks finding all my target links, and am still finding obscure targets. I try to put a disclaimer at the top of all my web pages not to bitch about bad links, mis-spellings, or whatever. I''m willing to correct any dead links or mis-spellings, but only if "I" am trying to use the link. After the time and effort I put into finding links, I'm sure as Hell not about to correct a dead link for someone else's convenience. Any time I share saed links, I tend to get pissed when someone tells me about dead links, joking or not - which is why I put up the disclaimer. "Especially" when I've got the disclaimer - and there IS a disclaimer, I made very sure of that. All links are live when I save them, it'd be stupid otherwise.

But, if someone decides to go ahead and piss me off anyway, that's your privilege. I'll just go ahead and change the link, so "no one" can access it. Then "you" can explain to everyone else why they can't access the page any longer.