suggestions for shop floor?

I am the proud new owner of a 12x16 workshop/shed. Yeah!! Currently the floor is just 3/4" plywood. I want to put some type of covering on it mostly just to make it easier to clean. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Stacey

Reply to
Stacey

On the cheap, a couple of coats of paint, a little more money? Cheap vinyl flooring. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Linoleum? Couple of coats of paint? A nice glazed Italian quarry tile would be great, but just don't drop a heavy tool on it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

epoxy paint ,wear's better and is smoother and you can get in any color.

Len

Reply to
leonard

The plywood is excellent flooring for a shop floor. Sand and coat it with three coats of Varathane. Vinyl is good too. I have a concrete floor and it is rough on the feet and the dropping sharpened chisels and bits.

Reply to
Phisherman

I have painted plywood (oil-based enamel floor/deck paint) It's *much* easier to sweep than raw plywood. I am happy with it.

The only thing I don't like about it is that I am sloppy and have a lot of glue & shellac drips around. Some day I will scuff sand and recoat. For my way of working, this is an argument for not investing much of anything (beyond paint) for a floor covering. In *my* shop it will get at least aesthetically messed up anyway.

-Steve

Reply to
C & S

Depending on the framing- I'd think about a second layer of 3/4 plywood.

Paint it- light gray, I guess. Or just leave it as is.

In my case, the time between shingles going up, and stuff moving into the new building, would be measured in minutes. I'd never get the floor painted.

-Dan V.

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

Paint is great, but sprinkle a little sand on it while it's wet. Painted plywood can be slippery - DAMHIKT.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Stick on vinyl floor tiles. Light color, wax. Done.

Dave

Teamcasa

============================= Years ago I spilled a quart of Shallac (the full fricken quart) on my floor (also just plain plywood)... I took a broom and just spread the mess around and after a few years discovered that the area oif the spill was just easier to maintain (sweeping etc) and looked a "little" better,... so I picked up a few more quarts off a mark down rack and spilled some more ....

That "second" application was about 10 years ago.... Shallac is not as durable as Poly...but... the "wear" is really not noticable... at least not yet... Works fine...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Reply to
nospambob

I was just about to ask if anyone knew how that would work on cement :~)

Reply to
Bob

I suggest you put the word "shed" out of your mind, and think "shop" exclusively. Mine is a 10x12. It was a glorious day when I finally managed to boot the last of the "shed" crap out of there for good. (By building a new shed next to the first shed...)

I suggest you spare yourself the expense of a second shed by not using the first one as a shed. :)

Reply to
Silvan