Shop Guest

They do work. They eat about everything organic laying around. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Glad to hear it. What's your point?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Like Mike, I'm a music person. I've never had 'em in my studio (in the basement) but they've been in my shop which is a door away from the basement.

Along with being a "muso", I'm a city dweller. Here in Baltimore, I value possum, foxes, racoons, etc. If they are hanging around, the rats haven't taken over. It's worth keeping in mind.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

Yep, just another species of road kill.

Reply to
krw

My very first exposure to a digital recorder as an engineer in the late

70's was the Sony PCM-F10 ... that was cutting edge, high tech that only the big boys got to play with. Then I personally bought the F1/VCR combo and carried it around to various studios to mix to in the early 80's.

We thought we were hot shit with digital anything back in those days ... and I still hate digital as much as I ever did. Give me a 2" 24 track, smpte'd to a 16 trk 2" for drums and bass, running 30ips, and I'll tickle your bottom with bass and kick like you haven't heard in 20 years!

I still play, but realized I'd lost the "golden ears" about 10 years ago for studio work, although the last album I engineered/produced was about three years ago ... I got tired of turning the control room monitors to

11 to answer the question "What was that (noise)?"

I really don't miss the pro studio life ... it was a crazy life, and a helluva lot of fun, but gets old the older you get.

Reply to
Swingman

What is the point of your gratuitous sarcasm? This is not a political thread.

Had you bothered to look at Stuart's address, you would have seen it end with "uk". Maybe, as a consequence, you might have realized that he may not be entirely familiar with southern American fauna and mistook the possum for a rat.

I think an apology is order.

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

marSOUPial?

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

And you can claim a rebate for hiring a handicapped employee -- didn't you notice his left eye is bad, he is half blind, no stereoscopic vision.

Reply to
EXT

Get over it. He's a big boy, I think he can stick up for himself.

Reply to
-MIKE-

SFWIW:

Goodyear Tire has/had a test track a few miles outside San Angelo, TX, which I'm told is/was the sheep capital of the USA.

There was a 5 mile high speed oval for testing automotive tires and an

8 mile oval for life testing of truck tires.

They had left the brush in the infield of the 8 mile track which made great habitant for rattlesnakes and the occasional armadillo.

Let me tell you driving at 55 MPH in the hot sun of San Angelo in July can be downright miserable as well as boring as the devil.

The night shift was a little better, but not much.

(Spending a little time at the test track made you appreciate why people wear cowboy boots in that part of the world.)

The rattlesnakes would come out of the infield and crawl out onto the track to sun themselves which created an opportunity for the drivers to relieve the boredom.

Driver would run over a snake, then stop and cut off the rattle, get back in the truck and keep going until rest break, when he would grab a hammer, some 16d nails and nail rattle(s) up on a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the rest station.

During my visit, they had filled up 2-3 plywood sheets.

Once and a while an armadillo would come running out on the track.

The object was to hit the armadillo and not kill it, but simply to knock it out of it's shell.

Makes life easier for the other predators as well as demonstrate the driver's skill.

Amazing how resourceful the human animal can be.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

There are some ladies in here who think I was too harsh on you in my previous reply, Stuart. Apparently, you forget a smiley face and people get their panties in a wad.

Sorry about that.

Reply to
-MIKE-

/That/ was mature.

Reply to
Robatoy

Kinda risky on his part walkin' in on somebody from Louisiana, wasn't it? :-)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Averaged about 85 in the shop today.. with the AC on most of the day.. about 106 outside..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

OK. Sorry, I didn't recognise it and someone mentioned pet rats. I put two and two together and made 5.

Reply to
Stuart

Should I ship you one of my shop blacksnakes?

Reply to
Charlie Self

Theories not fully accepted by all. Some experts dismiss the rat/flea theory because it doesn't fully support the incredibly rabid spread of the disease across Europe.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Reply to