Selling woodworking tools on ebay - any pointers...

You beat me to the punch, Doug. Funny how people can claim something didn't happen when we have it in Al's own words. I don't know which is better, though...Al inventing the Internet or John Kerry "casting the deciding vote on a bill that created 20 million jobs". If all John Kerry has to do is cast a vote and create some jobs, what has he been doing the past few years? Sandbagging the current administration? I say that Kerry should go cast some more votes and create some more jobs, pronto.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

It's an auction, I can't raise the price. If I add the 2.9% + $0.30 to eBay's fees, things get a bit expensive.

I don't need the service. I ask bidders to mail money orders, and accept checks for smaller items from bidders with feedback of +10 or better.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

There's no hope for some people. I ran an auction recently for items that had to be shipped motor freight. I specifically said I would deliver to the "carrier of YOUR choice - please don't ask me to compare freight rates". I still had several people ask me for shipping charges and one guy emailed me twice after the auction ended asking for freight rates when he wasn't even the winning bidder.

Reply to
Tom

So no comment on the taliban slimers? It really was one of the lowest periods in modern history. Believe it or not there are still people who believe that Gore said he invented the internet... really.

Not so. You can get into an arcane discussion on the evolution of the DARPA project, the http standard etcetera, but the internet as we are using it now was created throught the High Speed Computing Act.

The co-author of http agrees with me.

Reply to
p_j

You sure are slow on the uptake. Al's own words were true.

What about Al's own words?????????

Bush says he is creating jobs repeatedly and he has his giant PR apparatus saying the same. So is it true when Bush or his dozens of syncophants say they are creating jobs?

Nobody has to sandbag Bush. He and his cronies are doing just fine driving the country into the toilet.

Reply to
p_j

Its a nice reflection on you really, don't you think? Sort of like repeating RNC slime.

Reply to
p_j

p_j you really have no clue. ...

Ah, it's not worth it (gotta remember Tom Watson's pledge).

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Well, if the internet was in existence prior to Al's

As has already been pointed out, Al said "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet". You wanna split hairs on the difference in meaning between "invent" and "create"? Now, do I think that even Al thinks he "invented" or "created" the Internet? No...at least I hope not. It's just funny that as a politician, he has to associate himself with something that most people think is a very positive force. His words on their face are laughable. You really want to deny that?

Personally, when speaking of private sector jobs, I don't think any politician "creates" jobs. They can make it easier or harder for businesses to do so, but they can't create them. But you failed to answer my question. If all Kerry has to do is cast a vote and create some jobs, why doesn't he just do it again? Or is his campaign ad just a bunch of BS?

That's certainly the liberal party line. Excellent job being a parrot. Unfortunately, the truth is just the opposite. Nearly every economic indicator is positive, but you'd be hard-pressed to know it from listening to the media. The Labor Department is about to announce that another

225,000 jobs were added in May, making the total jobs created in the last 3 months around 850,000. The index of Leading Economic Indicators has risen 12 of the past 13 months. The list goes on. Trust me...this election won't be decided based on the state of the economy. You'd better just stick with "Bush lied about Iraq", because you're not going to have anything else come November.
Reply to
Todd Fatheree

But that will be enough.

Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Reply to
Charlie Self

On Mon, 31 May 2004 18:34:51 GMT, Unisaw A100 posted:

I dunno.... -;)

Reply to
Dunne E. Dawe

I have no idea what you're talking about here.

Well, he said...

Oddly enough, many people seem to think that the internet and the "world wide web" are synonymous. They are not. The internet supports many protocols besides http, some of which are a bit older.

The internet "as we are using it now" is not the same thing that we were using yesterday, last week, or last year. It's continually evolving, and it's been around since Al Gore was in diapers.

Doug Miller

Agreed. Another one for the KF.

Doug Miller

The downside is simply the cost...for the folks who are power users.

Its really convenient for the buyer.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Reply to
Trent©

I won't buy anything that I can't pay for with PayPal.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Reply to
Trent©

We'll see. For any Bush "lie", I can find 5 Democrats that have said the same thing. I think the election may turn on what kind of place Iraq is come November. I'm sure the insurgents will do their best to keep it destabilized. For us and for the Iraqis, I hope the transfer goes as smoothly as possible and the new government functions as well as can be expected. God bless anyone who took a position in the government, because they might as well have painted a bullseye on themselves. I just hope that Al Queda doesn't get the idea that the American people are as weak-spined as the Spaniards.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Take one good picture...post it...tell the folks that you can send more pictures by email if they need them.

Take the long time frame...to get the most bidders.

Don't forget to add your time, gas, containers and actual shipping cost to send the item. Call it Shipping & Handling.

Put in a disclaimer...'no refunds whatsoever. All items are as is...no warranty given or implied. Bid at your own risk'.

I've never sold any tools on Ebay...but I think I'd put a disclaimer in there also about your liability when they use the tool. For example, if the tool breaks and injures someone...even months later...you don't wanna be held responsible. A good example would be a RotoZip tool...which were found to have safety defects.

If you decide to take checks, make sure they clear the ORIGINATING bank before you ship the item. Don't take a check...and issue a refund...for MORE than the selling price. This has been a big scam lately...and some people actually fall for it.

Sign up for PayPal. It makes it a lot easier on the buyer....and offers a bit more security for them. If you have a high priced item for sale, people will be leery to bid on yer item...since you have no history with Ebay.

If you have a very large item (lathe, table saw, punch press, etc.) there are companies that will come and pick those items up and ship them for you.

Then put in a reserve. Your 'nothing' may equal somebody's 'something'...and you'll be pissed at yourself...or worse, you'll back out of the transaction.

Officially? No. But...

When the auction is over, keep the addresses of the bidders...for a mailing list in the future.

Good luck.

One quick Ebay story...

I once sold an item on Ebay...an item where like kind had been selling for about $50. I posted one picture. I immediately got about 25 emails...requesting more pictures and asking detailed questions (it was a WWII antique).

The bid was soon over $500! The item sold for a little over $600.

So...try to be certain of what you have. If the tools are REALLY old, you may have an antique..instead of a tool. Quite a difference in the pricing.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Reply to
Trent©

Todd Fatheree flatly states:

I don't doubt that. And I can find 4 more Republicans to fill out the ranks. Except for the imminence of use of WMDs by Saddass, and the existence of masses of WMDs in Iraq. That was a complete fabrication and originally the primary justification for the US getting its tail in the current crack.

Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Reply to
Charlie Self

Fine Charlie. Here you go. You calling Hillary, Al Gore, John Kerry, and Ted Kennedy liars, too? If you want to counter that all these people are just puppets of the Bush administration, I think I'll have a hard time believing that. The last I checked, there were a whole bunch of Democrats on the various congressional intelligence committees. The *only* thing that has changed between the time these statements were uttered and now is that things in Iraq haven't gone the way we would like. So now, the below seek to gain a political advantage from the situation and try to be on both sides (I voted for the 87 billion before I voted against it - John Kerry). If we believed everything below was true at the time, the question is only one of the right response. Bush believed a military response was the way to go and Congress approved it. But again, since things haven't gone as we would have liked, Democrats want to make political hay.

"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real..." - Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003

"We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandate of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and the means of delivering them." - Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002 "We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country." - Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power." - Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction." - Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..." - Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force -- if necessary -- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security." - Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction." - Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members ... It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons." - Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction." - Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), Dec. 8, 2002

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Where is that "Where are those weapons of mass destruction?" tag line?

I guess Sarin and Mustard gas don't count? "The Iraqi Survey Group confirmed today that a 155-millimeter artillery round containing sarin nerve agent had been found," Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt (search), the chief military spokesman in Iraq, told reporters in Baghdad. "The round had been rigged as an IED (improvised explosive device) which was discovered by a U.S. force convoy." (Fox News - May 17, 2004)

Don't count on the "lie about Iraq" being enough. First it was the economy, that the lib's conveniently forgot began tanking on Clinton's watch - then it was 'where are those weapons of mass destruction'.

Bush-Cheney - 2004!!!!!

Reply to
tillius

where are those weapons of mass destruction...?

one improperly loaded shell of sarin gas vs how many dead and wounded...?

i see your point...

john

Reply to
John Emmons