Another eBay scam

Just goes to show that a seller who breaches policy is free to relist the item.

"eBay Trust & Safety" says it all!!

MC029 SB NOTICE: eBay Auction 180462680122 - SALUS RT500RF PROGRAMMABLE WIRELESS ROOM THERMOSTAT Cancelled - Results Null and Void

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxx (yyyyy@zzzzzzzzzzz),

We'd like to let you know that eBay has ended the following item you were bidding on:

180462680122 - SALUS RT500RF PROGRAMMABLE WIRELESS ROOM THERMOSTAT

Listings may be removed if the listing, item or seller breaches an eBay policy. For privacy reasons we can't tell you exactly why we ended the seller's listings. As eBay removed the item, you aren't obliged to send payment for it.

The seller is free to relist the item in accordance with eBay's online policies; in this case you are free to bid on that item.

For more information on eBay policies please copy this link into a new browser window:

always, our goal is to keep eBay a safe and reputable place to buy and sell. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

If you've already received the item, please disregard this notice.

Regards,

eBay Trust & Safety

Reply to
Fredxx

"Fredxx" wrote

And why not, providing the breach is rectified?

I had items removed because I had my business website URL included (to ensure that any potential buyer knew who and where I was) in the listing, and also because I didn't show my business name & address in the listing.

Doh!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Because it's difficult to distinguish breaches of self-bidding and the like with less serious ones. An explanation would be better rather than hiding behind secrecy.

Reply to
Fredxx

I recently had all my listings removed by eBay and told to register as a business. No explanation as to why. I appealed and was sent a very terse email stating, register as a business or don't list again. I have now gone to other places as well as starting my own group on yahoo.

Reply to
the_constructor

"Fredxx" wrote

OK, that I can understand, and would certainly have been welcome in my situation.

However, I suspect that 'really serious' breaches (such as self-bidding) would result in the seller being kicked off eBay.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

A breach of ebay policy can be very minor, and does not indicate a scam, indeed the line above about it could be relisted, shows that it was not serious - if serious, the seller would not be able to relist the item.

I had one item removed once as I described it 'As new'. (it WAS like new). I then relisted as 'In excellent unused condition', and it was fine.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Of course they are. Perhaps you missed this bit:

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Surely you can't stop self-bidding (if not by the seller, then a mate) at any auction.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

My wife was the victim of that scam the only time she ever bought anything off ebay. I spotted it but only after she bought the item. Never bought anything on ebay since unless it was a trader at a confirmed price.

Reply to
AlanG

"Stuart Noble" wrote

Well for starters it's illegal, but greater transparancy from eBay would certainly help.

For instance I disagree completely with their policy (in some instances) of allowing bidders to remain anonymous.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

You do realise eBay isn't an auction?

Reply to
Huge

It's debateable it's illegal as the eBay is run offshore and they claim it's not an auction.

I know of many instances of self bidding from a rogue identity, or bidding from friends or relatives.

Reply to
Fredxx

I would expect omally a breach to result in the seller's account being closed.

Reply to
Fredxx

mmm as others are indicating this is Ebay we are talking about - in general "anything goes" as long as it makes money for Ebay Inc, Paypal and any other pseudonyms.

Shill bidding has been rife from day one it used to be obvious to work out but then Ebay (one presumed fed up with the amont of work they had to pay ther staff to do to investigations etc) decided to make bidding anonynous so you can no longer spot them *easily*.

Remember Higher bids = higher selling fees for Ebay = higher Paypal fees from sellers

Note the fees nearly always come from sellers......

I once reported a load of shill bidding and had all my painstakingly refined searches deleted! - Bastards!

Another scam that Ps me off is you order something in good faith it arrives and is NOT what you were expecting - if you try to return it you end up paying X for returning it! You may receive a "refund" from seller or Paypal but you're still out of pocket beacuse of the sellers "c*ck-up" - postage is usually overpriced so the seller actually profits from the exercise!!!!! My tip - pay by Paypal, if it;s wrong or not right enough - and they didn't send it by a recordable means - claim you never got it = full refund ;>) (fight fire with fire my friends)

Feedback is pants - everyone's obsessed with getting/keeping 100% positive so no-one can be arsed to tell the truth and shame the shit sellers. IMHO the higher the feedback score (not necess the %) the more chance you will get shat on by e.g. "Ebay power sellers" who have little interest in doing the right thing when they c*ck it up.

JimK

Reply to
JimK

That practice (shill bidding) was something that eBay used to work quite hard to stamp out. I don't think they bother very much now that eBay has got so much bigger. With seller's details impossible to obtain unless you complete the transaction, it is now very difficult to detect shill bidding yourself.

It used to be possible to find out address details before the auction ended, and I discovered and reported two instances of shill bidding where the bidder had the same address as the seller. To their credit, eBay acted swiftly and in each case the seller's accounts were summarily terminated.

However, I don't think that such personal attention is practicable in the massive operation that eBay has now become. Pity.

Reply to
Bruce

but you can (if can be arsed) see distinct "patterns" in bent bidding... that's the key tho Ebay just hid the evidence to solve the "problem"..

even after that twas still easy to see it and be pretty sure what/who was what/who until they anonymised everything "to protect buyers" my arse - to allow sellers to shill bid more like....

JimK

Reply to
JimK

Bruce :

I am not an expert but it's my impression that nowadays much of the action takes place in the dying seconds of the sale, with many people using software[1] to place a bid automatically without any need to be present at the PC. In which case, shill bidding is less useful than it would otherwise be.

[1] I approve of such software, because it encourages people to think of a maximum price and stick to it. Which is what the experts recommend, but many people find difficult to do.
Reply to
Mike Barnes

Which puzzles me greatly.

Is it an intellect thing with them or what? You decide what the maximum price is you're prepared to pay for an item and you bid it. Doesn't matter when you bid, you bid once and once only.

Common sense surely?

Reply to
Justin Credible

If you decide what you're willing to pay for something and stick to it, who cares if the seller is trying to ramp the price up? As often as not that strategy will backfire anyway as most people look at past prices and know within a quid what something is likely to fetch.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I was vaguely amused to get this comment when I gave a seller a neutral : "We bend over backwards to solve issues and you still leave a neutral!! BLOCKED!".

Reply to
Clive George