Another eBay scam

Just goes to show that a seller who breaches policy is free to relist the item. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item 0462680122 "eBay Trust & Safety" says it all!!
MC029 SB NOTICE: eBay Auction 180462680122 - SALUS RT500RF PROGRAMMABLE WIRELESS ROOM THERMOSTAT Cancelled - Results Null and Void
Dear xxxxxxxxxxxx (yyyyy@zzzzzzzzzzz),
We'd like to let you know that eBay has ended the following item you were bidding on:
180462680122 - SALUS RT500RF PROGRAMMABLE WIRELESS ROOM THERMOSTAT
Listings may be removed if the listing, item or seller breaches an eBay policy. For privacy reasons we can't tell you exactly why we ended the seller's listings. As eBay removed the item, you aren't obliged to send payment for it.
The seller is free to relist the item in accordance with eBay's online policies; in this case you are free to bid on that item.
For more information on eBay policies please copy this link into a new browser window:
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/safetycentre/rules_policies.html
As always, our goal is to keep eBay a safe and reputable place to buy and sell. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.
If you've already received the item, please disregard this notice.
Regards,
eBay Trust & Safety
"Fredxx" wrote

And why not, providing the breach is rectified?
I had items removed because I had my business website URL included (to ensure that any potential buyer knew who and where I was) in the listing, and also because I didn't show my business name & address in the listing.
Doh!
John.

Because it's difficult to distinguish breaches of self-bidding and the like with less serious ones. An explanation would be better rather than hiding behind secrecy.

I recently had all my listings removed by eBay and told to register as a business. No explanation as to why. I appealed and was sent a very terse email stating, register as a business or don't list again. I have now gone to other places as well as starting my own group on yahoo.
"Fredxx" wrote

OK, that I can understand, and would certainly have been welcome in my situation.
However, I suspect that 'really serious' breaches (such as self-bidding) would result in the seller being kicked off eBay.
John.
John Turner wrote:

Surely you can't stop self-bidding (if not by the seller, then a mate) at any auction.
On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 09:13:19 GMT, Stuart Noble

My wife was the victim of that scam the only time she ever bought anything off ebay. I spotted it but only after she bought the item. Never bought anything on ebay since unless it was a trader at a confirmed price.

At any auction you'd be foolish to pay more than you wanted to. How do you know the seller was bidding for his own item? You can't do that directly. Of course you can ask a mate to do it for you.
--
*Even a blind pig stumbles across an acorn now and again *

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 13:48:01 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Mu wife bought it. She got caught up in the bidding. Shit happens

I suspect he had a pal or had two accounts. It seemed an easy enough thing to do at that time since Ebay seemed to be working on email addresses. I could quite easily have set up a home account and another at the business address.

It has become more difficult to setup a bogus account, you now need to verify through giving some financial account details. Much better to get a mate, spouse or partner to bid for you.

I wouldn't trust Ebay with any of my financial details
"Stuart Noble" wrote

Well for starters it's illegal, but greater transparancy from eBay would certainly help.
For instance I disagree completely with their policy (in some instances) of allowing bidders to remain anonymous.
John.

You do realise eBay isn't an auction?
--
219361311
email me, if you must, at huge huge (dot) org <dot> uk]

It's debateable it's illegal as the eBay is run offshore and they claim it's not an auction.
I know of many instances of self bidding from a rogue identity, or bidding from friends or relatives.
"Fredxx" wrote

What do they 'claim' it is then?

Yes, and I know one retailer in my area of operation that appears to have a small clique of people who repeatedly bid on this retailers items and yet rarely win anything.
John.
On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 09:13:19 GMT, Stuart Noble

That practice (shill bidding) was something that eBay used to work quite hard to stamp out. I don't think they bother very much now that eBay has got so much bigger. With seller's details impossible to obtain unless you complete the transaction, it is now very difficult to detect shill bidding yourself.
It used to be possible to find out address details before the auction ended, and I discovered and reported two instances of shill bidding where the bidder had the same address as the seller. To their credit, eBay acted swiftly and in each case the seller's accounts were summarily terminated.
However, I don't think that such personal attention is practicable in the massive operation that eBay has now become. Pity.

but you can (if can be arsed) see distinct "patterns" in bent bidding... that's the key tho Ebay just hid the evidence to solve the "problem"..

even after that twas still easy to see it and be pretty sure what/who was what/who until they anonymised everything "to protect buyers" my arse - to allow sellers to shill bid more like....
JimK
JimK wrote:

If you decide what you're willing to pay for something and stick to it, who cares if the seller is trying to ramp the price up? As often as not that strategy will backfire anyway as most people look at past prices and know within a quid what something is likely to fetch.

That's pretty much what I do, plus I place my bid about 2 seconds before the auction finishes.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Since you have already decided your limit, how does late bidding work to your advantage?
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk