LF Advice...Government Surplus tools

I was looking at the CDN governments website & found a bunch of tools for sale on the attached page. Of particular interest to me was the hand planes they have for sale. I have never owned one of these but I hear you guys talking about them a lot, so I wondered if I could solicit your opinion on what you think these might be worth, as I thought I might go look at them later today or tomorrow & maybe put a bid in on one, (if they are in good shape).

(the planes can be found about 3/4 of the way down the page.)

BiffNightly

I was looking at the CDN governments website & found a bunch of tools for sale on the attached page. Of particular interest to me was the hand planes they have for sale. I have never owned one of these but I hear you guys talking about them a lot, so I wondered if I could solicit your opinion on what you think these might be worth, as I thought I might go look at them later today or tomorrow & maybe put a bid in on one, (if they are in good shape).

(the planes can be found about 3/4 of the way down the page.)

BiffNightly

Very hard to tell based on these pics. I have purchased 3 Stanley planes on Ebay and have been happy with them all. It is difficult to say for certain but I think they are about 70 years old. On Ebay you can ask questions and even request more pictures if you like.

If you are interested in using Ebay for this type of purchase I recommend creating an account, do a search for planes (there are lots of them) and select 'watch this item' for 6-12 of the type you are interested in but dont bid. When those 6-12 auctions are over you will have a real good idea of a bidding range to use for an actual purchase.

Also, it sounds like you might want to do some reading up on planes. There are many types for many uses. Read about sharpening them too or you will not be happy when you use it.

Reply to
gregj

What a mixed batch of stuff! I saw a 1987 Rolls Royce... what in the hell is the government doing with one of those? Your tax dollars at work? I saw some Ford Tauruses that looked OK. And I saw a lot of crap. Ancient stuff that more correctly ought to be in a museum.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN