worn bearing question

I have a contractor's table saw. Just recently, I've noticed that while the blade is spinning down, I'm hearing some clicking and knocking. I take the blade and belt off, spin the arbor by hand, nothing. I put the belt on and spin it and sure enough, with the lateral pressure on the arbor, it starts knocking. I've had the saw for about 6 years, only the last two of which have been what I consider slightly more than hobbyist use.

Is it unreasonable to think that arbor bearings should last longer than this? Or am I being picky?

By the way, I've always had it hooked up to dust collection and vacuum out the cabinet once a week.

Joe

p.s. It's a craftsman

Reply to
noonenparticular

Not too surprising...I suspect they'll be a standard bearing you can replace relatively easily and inexpensively.

Is the belt too tight, perhaps? That'll do more to ruin a bearing than most anything else.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Thanks Duane,

The belt is tightened via the standard motor on a sprung hinged plate I don't know how I'd adjust the tension if I was even of a mind to.

Following the "buy a new car when you need a windshield wiper" philosophy, I wonder if this is a good enough reason to chuck the contractor saw and get a good cabinet saw???? (rhetorical).

Joe

Reply to
noonenparticular

OK, some were designed w/ a fixed mount so it was possible to really crank 'em tight. That can cause flat spots on bearing races when it sits which can get noisy w/ time.

Took far less than that for me... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Once you take off the belt, it never goes back on right and you will have nothing but problems. Save that grief and get a Unisaw today.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Have you ruled out noise from the motor or belt itself?

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Shhh, Larry! Read his followup... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Is THAT why the Unisaw's have 3 belts? in case the first one doesn't go back on right? Dat's good engi-ma-neering

Reply to
noonenparticular

I'm a little suprised it didn't last longer I've got a Craftsman and not seen any bearing problems only fence issues. It has been used a lot in commercial setting and was purchased sometime in the late 50's. I've replaced the fence and pullies as well as a few belts. Now running link- belt but thus far no bearing problems.

What you cutting ? I do some dado but mainly 2 x 4 and 3/4 plywood is the feed for it.

- Guess you could have go a lemon too.

Reply to
woodcollector

Just a bearing going doesn't surprise me a lick...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Maybe the arbor pulley is loose or does not fit snugly on the arbor (hole is worn out of round)? Had this happen to me once. With a new pulley the saw runs nice and quiet.

John

I had the same problem on a rockwell contractor saw. It was a loose tightening set-screw on the pulley.

Reply to
Dan

I had the same problem on a rockwell contractor saw. It was a loose tightening set-screw on the pulley.

Reply to
Dan

I had the same problem on a rockwell contractor saw. It was a loose set-screw on the pulley. After tightening no more noise.

Reply to
Dan