Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

I see that with food. There are on the four corners of an intersection, Aldi, ShopRite, Stop&Shop, and BigY. On the stuff Aldi carries they are generally the cheapest. But there's always one or two items on my list that they don't have so I have to go to one of the other stores to get the missing items. On food stamps it was worth visiting the two. On a quant's salary it's not and I just skip Aldi.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Catalog you have 5. Are they the same? I have a tool catalog from Acme Tools on the shelf. I doubt I would order anything from it. I'd go to the store in town or use the internet. Is a catalog the same as online ordering, even in philosophy?

You really are looking at this from the wrong perspective. A "catalog" is not a paper book, it is a list of items offered for sale. When you order from Amazon you are ordering from a catalog. May not seem that way but when you make something available for sale on Amazon you have to provide the information about what you are selling and how much you want to charge for it and so on and it goes into Amazon's database where it becomes visible to potential buyers. That database is no different in concept from the Sears Big Book--the only difference is that it's electronic and dynamic rather than paper and static.

Reply to
J. Clarke

In which case you (a) go to Sam's, and (b) if you are really ticked about it write the Best Buy CEO, naming names, and explaining why they lost a sale to Sam's.

As a general rule price match only applies for the same SKU. Price matched a bunch of stuff the other day--the guy at Microcenter just scanned the barcode, plugged it into Amazon, when the price came up lower than his he just keyed it in and that was that.

Your Best Buy cable would be a different SKU from the Staples cable so no price match.

It can. At the other end, Walmart sometimes has products with the same SKU as the ones you buy elsewhere but the product has been cheapened in some way, which is something I really wish the FTC would start stepping on.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Eating it of course. ;~) Ass is not what it's cracked up to be.

Reply to
Leon

Do you have evidence of that? I've heard the rumor a hundred times but no one has ever given a specific.

My DeWalt miter saw came from Home Depot with a free sander for $20 less than the local hardware store for the saw alone. The hardware store told me it was made cheaper in spite of the same model number. When asked what was different, they did not know.

Just like the signs: Our gas has no water Our wood has no termites

I've never seen a side be side comparison done.

HP used to have different model printers, ie 850 vs. 855 vs 855I but they were all the same printer but different software for different sellers at different prices.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On 1/15/2017 11:23 AM, J. Clarke wrote: Snip

Same product/model number and one is built with cheaper parts.

I ask, how does one prove that. And is that maybe not just a case of the manufacturer improving the product with out changing the model number?

Perhaps the older but less expensive model is sold at a discount to big high volume retailers to get rid of the older supply.

I know that, as an example, software is sold as version 4.x. If you bought it a month a ago you got 4.1 tomorrow 4.4. Both versions were sold as 4.0. That might not be a great example but manufacturers constantly change parts with in a specific model especially if it has multiple suppliers of specific parts. The way you tell which model has what part is comparing the range that the serial number fall in. Stores don't compare serial numbers to determine if the product is an exact match or not.

This may be why the FTC has not moved on this.

Reply to
Leon

One importance difference is that some paper catalogs have codes that will give you the same price as what is stated in the catalog. Expiration dates,a change of season, usually put an end to that pricing, ie. Spring Catalog or Winter catalog.

Many web sites ask for that code to give you the catalog price which may or may not be the price stated on line.. IIRC LeeValley does this.

If you go to the internet the pricing can, as you stated, change "when ever".

E-mails often have a discount code to lower the on-line pricing.

Reply to
Leon

Well, that's easy to explain. It took the original owner 3 weeks to read the book. :-D

Reply to
-MIKE-

I have heard that too and believe that it may be just an excuse as to why one retailer charges more.

Not all resellers get the same pricing from the manufacturer. Volume has much to do with what a reseller pays and passes on to the consumer and in many cases there are one time deals to be had from the manufacturer, like when the sander is included.

Reply to
Leon

I'm not so much talking about the actual purchasing of music. Some artists have adapted and conquered. One I used to play for has no label but makes a very good living from iTunes, selling her music directly.

What I'm really talking about it the free music on streaming services. Free or next to free. I personally know artists who've gotten millions of streams of their songs and their royalty checks couldn't pay a month's rent.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I think the music industry has changed in a way that music which is not "live" is simply a cost of doing business, it is a form of advertising to sell tickets to your live performance.

Reply to
Leon

ROTFL!

Reply to
Leon

LOL!.....

Reply to
notbob

But the artist gets screwed as it has always been, but for a few.

Reply to
Markem

And what do they want for it at the "bricks and Mortar" across town where you can pick it off the shelf and take it home with you???

Reply to
clare

Not quite the same, but when I was in Zambia I recieved a parcel that was postmarked in Kitchener Ontariuo 3 days prior - and almost a month later I got a letter, postmarked the same day, telling me to expect the parcel - - - -

Reply to
clare

Seems to be a big disparity. Some artists are worth many millions, others would starve. I read that George Michael was worth $200 million.

I don't mind paying for music and have bought a handful of albums every year. With so many sources of sound, I have not had to buy anything for a few years now. I do pay for Sirius/XM but don't know if the artists get anything from what is played. For an extra $2 a month I can listen on my computer at home or at work. I get free music from Amazon Prime. Yesterday I qued up a couple of hours of YouTube music that payed through the receiver.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Are you assuming I could get it at the ""bricks and Mortar" across town"?

nb

Reply to
notbob

Making that assumption in a populated area is not a great stretch - mabee not the EXACT one, but one that would do the job. A bit different out in "the boonies"

Reply to
clare

...and grass grows in the summer.

Reply to