Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

Well, while every one knows that the customer is not always right, not having the attitude that the customer is not always right will run away business.

The customer is why you are there, if the customer is not there neither are you. You have to know when to give in and when not to.

When I was the service sales manager for the Olds dealership we were very busy, a typical Monday morning during the Summer meant taking in

150 or so vehicles. I had 6 service advisers doing nothing but writing repair orders from 7:00 am till about 1:30 in the afternoon. A typical week was 400+ vehicles going through our service department. We were in down town Houston and 80% of our business was big fleet business, oil companies, banks, etc. We provided great service and certainly charged a premium for our services. Using the OLDS warranty labor manual for our flag time we charged up to $70 per hour, 33 years ago.

For our customers that brought in their personal vehicles that may have had an issue with a repair or what ever they thought they were paying for I had a special way of letting the customer be right if they were not happy. My service adviser would bring the customer to me, explain the situation and I would immediately apologist, right or wrong, and hand the customer my business card with a note on the back. The note stated that the customer got a 10% discount on his next visit when he presented my card and there was absolutely no limit to the dollar amount of repairs. They were always happy because they felt that some one cared and extended a token of appreciation for the situation.

We also had a separate department that followed up on every service customer with in one week. Every customer was asked 10 question about his or her experience. Our satisfaction rating was never under 95%. I will add that I and the service advisers could double our pay checks as long as the customer rating did not go below 92% That was a feat considering 400 new customer each week.

Reply to
Leon

The seller, along with the help of buyers, will determine which method of pricing is correct.

Reply to
Bill

-MIKE- wrote in news:o5dvc4$pff$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Another game some vendors play is to set their price slightly higher than the base price. What happens sometimes is the guy setting the base price sells out, then the automated price setting tools set their price to be slightly higher than the other one and fight their way to the top.

They want to be slightly higher because some people look to see what an extra penny will get them. It might be something like two identical products ship from Washington and Rhode Island and you're in Maine. An extra penny or nickel could mean cutting several days off the transit time. (It also lets you avoid being charged for sales tax automatically in some states. You're still supposed to submit it anyway, but who does?)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Similar to my experience but mine was on a smaller scale. Absorption rate was never under 90%, and retention rate hovered between 90 and

120% on 3 year rating. That was over my 10 years as service manager of the smaller of 3 Toyota dealers in the Golden Triangle. We were in the top 10 in the nation and top 2 in the province in customer satisfaction for 9 out of the 10 years.
Reply to
clare

On 1/14/17 8:26 PM, Puckdropper wrote: (It also lets you avoid being charged for sales tax automatically

We can't avoid it anymore, since there's an Amazon warehouse in TN, so we get charged sales tax, anyway.

BTW, TN calls it a sales and use tax. WTF is that!? I'm getting charged to use something!?

Reply to
-MIKE-

When you order from a 3rd party seller who is out of your state.

Reply to
Bill

In Texas the sales and or use tax goes like this.

Sales tax, easy to understand, when you buy something you pay a sales tax. It is considered use tax if you are a tax exempt business and purchase products for resale but do not actually resale the item. Say you buy 50 screws and do not pay sales tax. You sell 45 screws, collect sales tax on the 45 screws and forward that money/tax collected to the state.

You keep the remaining 5 screws for personal USE. The business/you pay the USE tax on the price you paid for the 5 screws that you did not sell and collect sales tax on.

Reply to
Leon

I'll have to check on that. My guess would be, yes.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Makes sense. I used to have a business license that allowed me to buy stuff sans tax and I seem to remember hearing what you wrote.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Just like all of us can play in the NFL (if you have Madden).

Reply to
Markem

Watch out for shipping "and handling" (S&H). There are limits on shipping, but add "handling" and the sky is the limit.

Also, there are super slow rates. I ordered a pen from Japan. Received it in 10 days ....from Japan! A used book, I ordered from VA, took 30 days!

Watch restocking fees, also. Newegg has always had a 15% restocking fee, so I changed to Tiger Direct ....at least until TD instituted that same 15% fee.

I bought a panetonne from SFBA. They charged me $20 to ship a 2lb package from SF to CO, yet a guy who sold me a 40lb golf cart charger charged me zero shipping, on ebay.

Amazon wants $46 for a skillet. I can get that same skillet for $30, elsewhere. Problem is, "elsewhere" want $18 to ship it.

Ya pays yer money and takes yer chances!...... ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I guess that is what they call "price matching". The competition does it so why not? Stops abuse of people ordering three items and then picking the one they really want and send the other two back

Everybody likes free shipping and free lunch.

I don't mind paying a fair price for sipping, but when you need a $5 part and the shipping and handling is $15 it makes you wonder but there s real cost to handling an order. My company has a $300 minimum order but we don't deal with the general public.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

LOL, I ordered 25 microfiber towels specifically made to clean glasses lens/specticals. Ordered on Amazon for about $7 including free shipping. About 5~6 weeks later they showed up oddly packaged with strange postage stamps. Direct from Viet Nam.

Reply to
Leon

Yikes! You win. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I've got a heated dish--when it snows I just flip a switch and problem solved. OTOH, I've dropped that service--now I have fast Internet and individual Hulu, Netflix, and Prime subscribtions that get me more TV than I have time or inclination to watch. I did get the "flex" package from the cable company that lets me stream the local channels and watch HBO for about the same price as I would have paid for online HBO alone.

Reply to
J. Clarke

But will they still be made in USA or will the just be the same stuff Harbor Freight sells only with a higher price tag?

The nearest Northern Tool to me is 600 miles away. There's a Harbor Freight in the same block as Home Depot and Lowes to the north and I drive past another one on the way to Home Depot and Lowes to the south. On the other hand, the closest place to buy tools is a Home Depot with no nearby Lowes or Harbor Freight--there was a Sears across the street though.

Snap-On does come to work to service the helicopter mechanics and maintenance staff--I suppose I should find out their schedule.

Harbor Freight's store brand wrenches have a nice finish and lifetime warranty as well.

Open stock is a big benefit of Sears--at HF it's a set or nothing.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I read the bad ratings to see if there is a consistent issue.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Hard to say, a lot of Craftsman is not made in the USA now. I wonder if the Sears "Companion" brand is made by Craftsman.

I would say stick with HF. A life time warranty is not worth much if it costs you more to have it replaced under warranty than simply buying a new one.

And Having said that I could no longer fine the "Northern" brand wrenches on the Northern Freight web site. That might be an in store item only used as a loss leader.

Well there you go.... I have not paid much attention to their wrenches, none of mine need to be replaced. And I lived very close to Northern Tool when I bought the odd wrenches for specific tools.

Yes, that is one of the advantages to Northern Tool, they sell wrenches/sockets like Sears, loose or in sets.

Now that you mention a set or nothing, I bought a set of hex/Allen wrenches from HD, the Husky brand with LT warranty. Unfortunately they are not great especially, as you would imagine, in the small sizes, they bend. I gave them away after replacing with a set of Bondhus hex wrenches. These are great and made in the USA.

Any way I wonder if HD would have replaced the whole set of wrenches. Have you had to replace a wrench or set with HF?

Reply to
Leon

What are you doing with the rest of the rat?

Reply to
J. Clarke

The simple fact is that audiophile recordings are a niche market. Most people are happy to pay 99 cents a track for MP3 singles. But I'm also seeing the MP3 albums going for more than the CD despite higher costs of production, which says that somebody somewhere is profiteering and if it's not the musician then he needs to reconsider his distribution channel.

Reply to
J. Clarke