Sawdust inside carrying case of new PC 557?

I just ran down to the local BORG and took advantage of the 20% off sale (to go with $30 PC rebate) to buy a Porter Cable 557 plate joiner. They only had one left on the shelf and no others in stock. I bought the one and didn't think to open the case and look at it in the store, just wanted to get out of the store as I can't stand crowds. Upon opening the case at home I discovered that inside the case there was sawdust (looks like particle board) and the tool obviously has been used judging by the fine coat of sawdust around the blade area. Is this from testing done by the manufacturer or did someone in the store decide to use it? I'm wondering if I should hassle with returning this one and wait for a replacement or just not worry about it and go ahead and use the tool. Anyone else have the experience of sawdust inside the case of this tool when purchased new?

Dale

Reply to
Dale

Mine was absolutely pristine when I opened the case. No dust anywhere. Most likely, someone bought it, used it, and returned it for a refund. No way would I accept that.

Doug Miller

I had that exact problem TWICE lately. Once was even with that exact plate joiner. I had also gotten a Bosch jigsaw. The jigsaw was even worse, as it had a blade installed AND 2 packs of blades in the case (one already opened). I kept the blades and returned both tools and repurchased ones with their cases still factory sealed.

danh

Reply to
danh

Reply to
Dan Parrell

My 557 was pristine from the BORG a year or so ago. The bummer is that yours was the last one, so it's decision time.

After finding items missing out of supposedly unopened boxes far too many times at the BORGs, (HVLP sprayer comes immediately to mind), I routinely make a salesperson open the box and inventory the items BEFORE I head for the one on duty cashier. The same *ssholes that cut you off in traffic and routinely run red lights and stop signs these days see nothing wrong with helping themselves to parts out boxes.

They, along with the designers of "tear here" and plastic bubble-on-cardboard packaging, should have a special place in hell.

Reply to
Swingman

I had that exact problem TWICE lately. Once was even with that exact plate joiner. I had also gotten a Bosch jigsaw. The jigsaw was even worse, as it had a blade installed AND 2 packs of blades in the case (one already opened). I kept the blades and returned both tools and repurchased ones with their cases still factory sealed.

danh

Reply to
danh

Last year, during HD's yellow tag sale, I saw a Bosch ROS that was about 30% off. Needing one, I snagged the only one they had. The box was ripped and it was obviously used (the used sandpaper attached to it clued me in). I talked to the toll dept. manager. We plugged it and made sure it worked and then I asked them how much additional they were going to take off because it was used. Without hesitation, she dropped another 20% off the price. So, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Jo

Reply to
JLJ21710

My 557 was clean, but I've gotten well used Freud Forstner bits from HD. They aren't that expensive, but some lowlife has to use one and then return it for a refund and it get put back on the shelf.

dave

Dale wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

why should the manager give 40% off when he can just send it back to PC?? Every customer could pull that one: claim an item had been used and DEMAND a huge discount. Retailers aren't that naive.

dave

Dan Parrell wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Return it. It should be sold as a "reconditioned" tool, not a brand new tool.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
Dan Parrell

Dale,

Just bought one yesterday from HD. After reading your post, I checked mine (even though it is suppose to be a Christmas present) and found that the cardboard cover over the plastic case is connected to the case with a plastic cable tie. It looks like it is supposed to be sealed this way. I decided not to open it any further!

Bill

Reply to
WORSS

Might be a new tool or could be a resealed box. The store have a gizmo. that is used to wrap plastic strapping zip-ties around boxes for security purposes. I bought a rotozip as a birthday present "sealed". When opened bits gone and had been used.

Reply to
slowalker

Mine had those two white plastic bands wrapped around the cardboard outer packaging and also had a small black zip-tie securing the plastic case.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

It's called free rental.

People did this to my buddy's musical instrument and equipment store all the time. They would buy something like a wireless transmitter for that special showcase gig, and return it on Monday. This practice is also why the bicycle shop I work at part time will not accept a return on a bike You can swap it for a different one, but we won't take it back. We had college students doing this when they'd come to town for two to three week summer courses.

I know some local tool dealers that operate with a similar policy. Used tools can be exchanged for the same tool, the same tool in a different brand, or a slightly different tool in the same family (like a palm sander for a small ROS). This forces the free rental folks to deal with the BORGs.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

yeah...we heard...when you posted the same thing 38 minutes earlier...

danh wrote:

Reply to
Chris Merrill

Thanks Chris,

Ya know Usenet sometimes isnt perfect. After I posted I got an error contacting my News server. As of now I only see one reply from me. Next time I will only half post, then when it screws up it will only show you one. Hope that is acceptable

danh

Reply to
danh

There are customers who buy a tool, use it, and return it, taking care to make the packaging appear unopened. I have seen too much of that in the past seven years working in a tool corral.

Reply to
<treader

Reply to
Dale