The BORG - Tricky Tricky Tricky on the PC 557 Rebate

I was filling out the rebate form for the PC 557 I picked up the weekend before XMAS at the Borg. You know the 20% off Sale. Well, the rebate has to postmarked by Jan 7. When I scoffed that scrumptious deal there was also a pad with rebate coupons. Tore one off and stashed it with my receipt. Th HD rebate form is a form for a $30 GIFT CARD. Those Sneaky Borg's. They just have to have every last penny.

I checked for the form elsewhere and found the rebate at

that it was a cash offer and not a gift card offer.

FWIW

Rich

Reply to
RKON

I don't follow your reasoning. Why is HD being "sneaky" by offering a rebate in the form of a Gift Card? I have seen this used many times recently.

At the stores around here, the terms of the rebate were posted in large text. If you don't care for the gift card method of doing rebates, you didn't have to buy there. If you didn't read the terms before the sale, then whose fault is that?

Reply to
Bob Haar

I think his post was just a little borg bashing to ease the holiday tension........;-)

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Retail vs. wholesale. HD keeps the difference with a gift card. Cash you can spend anywhere.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~

While not exactly sneaky, it does limit what you can do with the money but if it is a HD sponsored rebate, they are well within their rights to do it that way. I guess that the real question might be, was it clearly posted as a gift card only?

Reply to
Tbone

That means that I HAVE to spend the $30 dollars at a HD. A Cash Rebate allows me to do what ever I please. HD Keeps the revenue no matter what with a gift card. I knew there was a $30 PC Rebate when I purchased the 557 at HD.

I was not Borg Bashing I was simply making everone aware of the difference. I sent in the other form which will allow me to get a check for $30.

FWIW

Rich

Reply to
RKON

|If at first you don't succeed, you're not cut out for skydiving

Or to put it another way, "He who hesitates shall inherit the Earth."

Reply to
Wes Stewart

It is sneaky and thats that.You don't advertise a PC 30.00 rebate if you are actually getting 30.00 Depot credit. Rebate and credit are NOT the same thing. I hate that crap. Say what you mean and mean what you say.

Reply to
GBsCards

Who's to say that you could not have filled out the Porter Cable $30 rebate form and sent that in with your HD receipt. I doubt that PC really cares where you bought it. The form does not say "excludes HD purchases". I had both forms and thought about it. However, $30 from HD is almost as good as cash as far as I am concerned so I just filled out their form.

Bill

Reply to
WORSS

Reply to
George

That's exactly what I did.

Nova

This was mentioned about two weeks ago in the Rec.

I wrote to PC asking if they cared which form accompanied my HD receipt. Never heard a word from them so the $30 Rebate form from their website went in. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Home Depot was running a general rebate on most tools that was independent of PC's own rebate offer. The HD offer was clearly identified as a gift card. If the original poster did not bother to read and understand what HD was offering before buying, why is it HD's fault fro being "tricky" ? There was no deception involved. He might have a justified complaint about the offer not being as good as the one directly from PC but but that does not give him grounds to complain because he didn't understand the arrangement.

Reply to
Bob Haar

I *LOVE* HD gift cards. Any cash that comes into the house is likely to be spent on groceries, shoes for the kids, clothes for the wife - worthless stuff like that (why does she need clothes anyway? I like her best without them ';-) But those HD gift cards.... *Those* are

*mine*!!!

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

I just got my $40 card from buying $100 worth of tools a couple of months ago. They're going to get my $40 anyway, so I don't really mind.

I was keeping track when I bought my tools and my calculations showed $107. It turned out one tool was mispriced and the total was $100.87. I would have really been mad if it ended up $99.87.

Reply to
Jim K