RustyTable Saw Spindle Nut won't come off

Unfortunately I've had no really reason to use my table saw as of late. Sto red in a metal shed, that leaks, moisture rusted my saw. I've cleaned up, w ith a number of things, and looks fairly decent. The problem is that the sp indle nut is rusted on there and I can't get to budge. I sprayed with WD 40 . Soaked with vinegar and Apple Cider vinegar. I use my torch to heat up th e nut but that didn't work either. Any viable help will be appreciated.

Reply to
badclos.cb
  1. Soaked with vinegar and Apple Cider vinegar. I use my torch to heat up the nut but that didn't work either. Any viable help will be appreciated.

Soak it with penetrating oil and leave it over night. Most folks get impatient for it to work instantly, but it doesn't. Kroil works pretty good if you have some, but plane old Liquid Wrench works too. Then the next day if it still won't come loose lock the blade, put a good fitting closed end wrench on the nut, and give the wrench a couple modest taps with a decent size hammer. 2 or 3 lb will work fine. You don't need a lot of swing behind it. I think the heavier hammer with a modest swing gives you more control than a lighter hammer with a harder swing.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

tored in a metal shed, that leaks, moisture rusted my saw. I've cleaned up, with a number of things, and looks fairly decent. The problem is that the spindle nut is rusted on there and I can't get to budge. I sprayed with WD

  1. Soaked with vinegar and Apple Cider vinegar. I use my torch to heat up the nut but that didn't work either. Any viable help will be appreciated.

Are you turning it counter clockwise? It probably comes off by turning cl ockwise.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Doh! I hate it when that happens! I worked like hell to get the nut off the arbor of my lawn edger before I discovered that it was a left-hand thread. Turning it the right, err left, err *correct* direction made it come off a whole lot easier. ;-)

Reply to
krw

e:

Stored in a metal shed, that leaks, moisture rusted my saw. I've cleaned u p, with a number of things, and looks fairly decent. The problem is that th e spindle nut is rusted on there and I can't get to budge. I sprayed with W D 40. Soaked with vinegar and Apple Cider vinegar. I use my torch to heat u p the nut but that didn't work either. Any viable help will be appreciated.

I marked all my spindles with an arrow so I know which way is "loosen". Tab le saw, routers, miter saw, circular saws. Anywhere the standard RT - LL rules might be conf using.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Assuming that you're turning the nut the correct direction... there are many penetrating oils on the market that do a far better job than WD-40, and most of them are available at any auto parts store: PB Blaster, CRC 5-56, Kroil, and Liquid Wrench all are much better than WD-40 for loosening rusted fasteners. My favorite is PB Blaster.

Reply to
Doug Miller

tored in a metal shed, that leaks, moisture rusted my saw. I've cleaned up, with a number of things, and looks fairly decent. The problem is that the spindle nut is rusted on there and I can't get to budge. I sprayed with WD

  1. Soaked with vinegar and Apple Cider vinegar. I use my torch to heat up the nut but that didn't work either. Any viable help will be appreciated.

interesting timing:

/

Reply to
bnwelch

Loosen in the same direction that the blade turns. That may be clockwise or counter clockwise depending on which side of the blade the nut is on.

Reply to
Leon

Easy to remember loosen in the direction that the blade turns. That is pretty much with anything. For a nut to loosen accidentally while running it would have to spin faster than the object it is securing, that is not likely.

Reply to
Leon

rote:

e. Stored in a metal shed, that leaks, moisture rusted my saw. I've cleaned up, with a number of things, and looks fairly decent. The problem is that the spindle nut is rusted on there and I can't get to budge. I sprayed with WD 40. Soaked with vinegar and Apple Cider vinegar. I use my torch to heat up the nut but that didn't work either. Any viable help will be appreciate d.

ng clockwise.

Table saw, routers,

*Really* easy to look at an arrow. ;-)

But (seriously) routers that require 2 wrenches are a real pain, at least f or me. I marked one of my wrenches with "Right Hand Bottom Together Loosens"

That reminds me that if I hold one wrench in my right hand, put it on the bottom nut (with the router upside down) and move the wrench handles toward s each other, the collet will loosen. It saves me from having to think - whic h may or may not be a good thing. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Understood but you have to determine which direction to point the arrow. ;~)

And I hate single wrench routers. ;~) I prefer to loosen and tighten with a single hand squeezing the handles together. It gives you much more leverage and control than having to hold the router and a lock button with one hand and a wrench with another. Not totally unlike using two wrenches to remove the arbor nut on your TS. The only exception is my Triton table mounted router. The table holds the router and the router spindle automatically locks when the collet is high enough to get to the nut.

If the top wrench is right of the bottom wrench and you squeeze them together you tighten, righty tighty. If the top wrench is to the left of the bottom and you squeeze them together you loosen, Lefty losey. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

You mean like Festool? ;-)

My table saw's outer wrench is bent outward so the one-hand trick doesn't work all that well.

Reply to
krw

ate. Stored in a metal shed, that leaks, moisture rusted my saw. I've clean ed up, with a number of things, and looks fairly decent. The problem is tha t the spindle nut is rusted on there and I can't get to budge. I sprayed wi th WD 40. Soaked with vinegar and Apple Cider vinegar. I use my torch to he at up the nut but that didn't work either. Any viable help will be apprecia ted.

ning clockwise.

". Table saw, routers,

Just once! ;-)

My PC uses 2 wrenches. My Rocky 30 uses 1.

I probably hate them both equally, but for different reasons.

That won't fit on my wrench handle. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The only thing I disike about my Bosch Colt.

Use a bicycle wrench as a second wrench, instead of continually fighting with the spindle lock push button that doesn't work very well.

Reply to
Swingman

Spoil sport :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Well, the spindle lock button on my Rocky 30 works very well...as long I keep enough pressure on the spindle at the correct angle for the correct amount of time and the Moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Exactly LOL

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius

Reply to
Leon