Kenmore oven won't shut off

I have a Kenmore electric range (really a Whirlpool). Today while baking something, the top heater element in the oven basically went into broil mode, staying energized. I could not shut it off, even after pressing the "Cancel" button (although the display indicated the oven was off). Eventually I got a "E2 F3" error, which appears to be a "oven too hot" warning (solution = replace thermal sensor) according to

Ultimately, I had to turn off the circuit breaker (and if I turn it back on, the element comes back on again!).

It sounds to me like a bad control element, rather than a thermal sensor problem (i.e., the thermal sensor was doing its job when the oven got too hot). Of course, I have to wait about a week to get a repair tech out. Any DIY solutions come to mind?

Thanks!

--Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Ballance

pull out the element. it should just plug in somewhere. of course you lose the broiler, but that's why god invented propane grills.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I assume this has electronic controls; my guess is the driver SCR or whatever semiconductor has shorted. IF you can get to it, determine it's bad (very low ohm reading across it on multimeter), and find a cross reference part number, I'd bet it'd cost less than $5 to fix. But that's a lot of IFs ;)

Reply to
John Harlow

Sounds like an open thermal sensor to me. A common failure.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Hi,

Model#??

Certainly *sounds* like a bad control or possibly a melted wire bypassing the control....but we may learn more once we see what style/model yours is.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Well..here's the skinny. I had two problems. The broiler element had a short, which is why it would come on as soon as power was applied. But that short was probably secondary to a relay failure on the control board, which would "stick" in a closed position once it was closed (meaning, the broiler wouldn't shut off after the preheat phase). It would open after power was removed from the stove. But it did make for an interesting diagnostic challenge, as I thought I had the problem fixed when I replaced the broiler.

Thanks for the tips!

--Dennis

Reply to
dwballance