rotary gun rack

I really need some help here. Does anyone know where I can buy a set of plans for a rotary gun rack? Saw an ad in Shotgun News, but it turned out to be discontinued. No luck on ebay, any firearm forum, or using "ask". Anyone?

Reply to
cheoreomacv

Like a store display rack? You need plans for one??? Just go to the store, look at theirs, make some notes and go clone it like Norm would. It's not brain surgery...

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

That's right. Once you get into the lofty atmosphere of a pro, it's actually hard to tolerate someone that even needs plans. Plans are for losers.

So, for all of us losers that need or want them from time to time whether it be for measurements, design, tips, tricks, material lists, hardware sources, etc., or anything else that you might WANT plans for (???) try this:

a google search under "revolving gun rack" and you will find success.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I'm not a "pro", indeed I'm predominantly a metalworker, with wood on the side. I am however pretty good at adapting and cloning designs from things I've seen.

In this case I know every Wal Mart, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc. has one of these revolving display racks which you can readily go see in person, make a sketch of and in all probability take measurements of to put together a workable design.

I suppose I'm never interested in plans for an item because I never want to clone it exactly. I always find something that I want to change or adjust to better fit my needs, it's half the justification for building vs. just buying something off the shelf.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Robert makes a good point above, if you are doing a search, sometimes searching for the item you are after using a synonym will resolve your problem if you have no luck with your original search criteria (i.e., revolving rather than rotary).

Mark & Juanita

I'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination, but my first half dozen projects were just from a sketch of an item in the store. Yes, I've use plans on occasion, but a ruler and note pad can get what you need in many cases. I've even scaled from magazine photos of products.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Exactly. I guess people just vary in reverse engineering ability.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

What are these "plans" that I keep reading about?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Tue, Dec 26, 2006, 8:06am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com doth burble: That's right. Once you get into the lofty atmosphere of a pro, it's actually hard to tolerate someone that even needs plans. Plans are for losers.

My first thought when I read that was, "What a crock". My second thought when I red that was, "What a crock".

Any time a pro makes a one-off there may, or may not be plans involved. I'm not a prob, but there seldom are plans involved. However, there may, or may not be some measurements written down, usually not. Most of my one-offs I prefer to wing it. More fun that way.

But any time a pro makes duplicates of something, there are plans involved. Might just be some measurements written down, maybe a story stick, but something that will allow making identical copies - which is what plans are after all. Just because they're no drawings on a piece of paper, and you can't understand how it's done because of that, doesn't make it not a plan. Sounds like the pros "do" tolerate people needing plans after all.

I know of people who are talented enough to about make a scaled plan of whatever they want to make without even using any drafting tools. They're skilled enough to use no plans at all if they wanted. Some of them do make their own detailed plans, and then work from them. Others work from someone else's plans. They work from plans because they like to work from plans. Pierod.

Then there's the people who like to work from other people's plans, but make their own changes.

Then there's the people who like to look at plans, take an idea from one plan, one from another, and make up their own plans. I'm kinda in this area because I love to look at plans for inspiration.

Then there's the people who just decide what they want to make, how they want to make it, or want it to do, and then go ahead and make it. Maybe some measurements, maybe a rough sketch or two, or maybe just in their mind. This is basically where I'm at. I've found out I can pretty much visualize what I want to make, then go thru different thought processes of how to do it. It may not be pretty, and I'm inclined to paint some stuff yellow (often just to wind up the too-tight people), but so far everything pretty much works the way I want it to. And anytime I want to make dupes of anything I make patterns.

Like the man said, it ain't brain surgery. But personally, I wouldn't want a rotating gun rack.

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Tue, Dec 26, 2006, 5:38pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (Pete=A0C.) doth sayeth: I suppose I'm never interested in plans for an item because I never want to clone it exactly. I always find something that I want to change or adjust to better fit my needs, it's half the justification for building vs. just buying something off the shelf.

Yep. Router tables, tool stands, and all that, they're someone else's ideas, usually not what I need - and/or usually way too pricey for my means. I'm on about the Mark III or IV version of my router table. Does just what I want and need, and cost very little. I'd never have been able to buy one that would work anywhere near as well for me.

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

They show what you built was *supposed* to look like.

`
Reply to
Robert Bonomi

But... how would anyone else but me *know* that?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

| I've even scaled from magazine photos of products.

Geez - I've been stonkered just trying to picture a rotating gun. Are the magazines stationary or do they rotate too?

Morris Dovey

Reply to
Pete C.

Knife maker?

Reply to
Chilla

Like the shed I bought recently, the plans look like a mansion, however when built looks like the house from Greenacres.

Charles

Reply to
Chilla

You've got it wrong the barrel is curved to the horizon so when you fire, the high powered ammunition spins in a circle ;-) Charles

Reply to
Chilla

"Certified Jack of All Trades", fairly decent at most. See my crappy site for a look at a few projects I've thrown some stuff up about

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Corkscrew stabilization?

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Ah, so it now comes out. Those who don't use plans use this tactic because that way nobody can see how things came out differently than originally envisioned. Diabolically clever. :-)

Mark & Juanita