Help! Does anyone know my lathe?

Hi all, I just set a wood lathe up in my shop whose best feature (the price) was issesistible. Now I'm trying to figure out how to use it, but I'm running into a problem: No one's ever heard of that brand, and I can't find accessories to fit! I hope someone here might be able to help.

According to the nameplate, it's a "Wood Copy Lathe" Model 1000. The headstock is threaded for what appears to be 28mm by 6 threads per cm (TPC?) on the right, and 25 mm by 6 TPC on the left.

I realize spindle turning can be very rewarding, but I do want to try bowls as well, and a lot of the projects I want to try would require at least a jam chuck to complete. If anyone has any ideas where I can find stuff to fit, I would really appreciate the heads-up. Failing that, anyone interested in a quality copy lathe? Cheap! :-)

Thanks, Snakewood

Reply to
falk.bock

A couple of questions for you. Where did you buy it, and are you SURE it was a 25mm X 6 thread. A 1" X 8tpi is very common, the other isn't. Don Pencil can probablly make you faceplates, if you're sure of the thread and diameter. You might want to ask over in rec.crafts.woodturning. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax

I'm pretty sure it's not a 1x8 thread, because on an imperial scale it works out to about inch-and-an-eighth by 16-ish. Also, all the other fittings (bolts, set-screws, etc) are metric. Right now I'm looking at having the mandrel machined to fit 1x8, but I can almost buy a new lathe of equal quality for what that will cost. Not to mention I have yet to figure out how to disassemble the darn thing....

I bought the thing as a young and impressionable youth at The Tool Place in Kelowna, BC about 12 or so years ago. I tried contacting them, but no luck. That would have bee too easy, I guess.

Oh, and I'll try the woodturning forum. Thanks!

Snakewood

Reply to
snakewood