Need lathe parts.

delta rockwell model 46-111. need a headstock spindle. #2 morse taper

1x8 threads. got ideas where to look?

thanks

skeez

Reply to
skeez

That's a standard size -- should be able to find plenty from any mail order supply or probably eBay or Craig's list wouldn't be long if there isn't one listed now...

--

Reply to
dpb

I don't know the Delta model numbers very well, but I assume this is a wood lathe. I have seen spindles and complete headstocks on Ebay for various Delta lathes. Search delta lathe from time to time. There is usually only one page of stuff there, so it won't take long to look. I think I see about one spindle every couple of weeks and maybe a couple of headstocks in a couple of weeks. From time to time, I see a delta headstock-looking thing there that they often call a "Sander" or something. If you see one and know what you are looking for, it may be that the spindle from that device will fit yours.

Is the spindle you are replacing totally destroyed? Maybe it could be fixed.

Pete Stanaitis

---------------------------------

dpb wrote:

Reply to
spaco

it may be able to be fixed. not sure. the threaded end with the taper in it is split in 2 places. i may be able to add a nut to hold it together. i am just getting started on this project so i realy dont have a plan yet. depends on parts available. i have not checked ebay yet. was hoping for new but that doesnt look like its gonna happen sooo......

skeez

Reply to
skeez

Oh, I was thinking you needed new centerpoint not the actual spindle itself, sorry.

I'd take it to my machine shop guy. In all likelihood it can be welded and then remachined.

Other than that you're looking in the retro bins I'm afraid...

--

Reply to
dpb

yeh thats what its lookin like! looks like skeez the cobbler is gonna be at it again! :=]>

skeez

Reply to
skeez

I suppose you have checked w/ Delta? Years ago you could have gotten to a real engineer who might have been able to either give you a cross-reference or other lead, but now not so much.

Also, they used to actually machine old parts on a periodic basis as I have an ancient old 8" jointer that needed a part on the fence angle adjustment mechanism that was out of production. Took a couple of months but they did turn one and sent it on. That was probably 10 years ago now, though, and I've not had occasion (fortunately) to try my hand recently...

--

Reply to
dpb

tried the website. worthless as it is. since B&D they dont support nuthin! if its out of production more than a couple years you are SOL... ill keep checking the bone yards but probly just gonna mount a chuck and run it. i can get around not using the spur center by useing the wood worm screw in the chuck. thanks all and if ya come up with a better idea i am listning! :-]

skeez

Reply to
skeez

I'd at least give the 800 number a go before I gave up entirely, but as you say, things ain't what they used to be... :(

--

Reply to
dpb

Suggest you contact Ace Tool Repair.

Here is a link to the parts data sheet for a Rockwell Delta Model

46-111 Wood Lathe.

Luck !

Reply to
Planes True

been there. unfortunately none of the spindles are available. i got a chuck for it with a wood worm screw and will just have to deal with the limitations. fortunately i have another lathe for things that need to be done with a drive spur.

thanks all, skeez

Reply to
skeez