Does anyone here know anything about ...

...shoemaking?
Mary
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:05:42 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

German F1 racing driver. Several times world champion. Drives for Ferrari.
HTH.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

No.

Cobblers to that!
That was my _Last_ job!
Do Cobblers make shoes to last?
et.al.
--

Brian

Brian Sharrock wrote:

I bet you feel a right heel having written that.
It's their sole function.
<sticks out tongue>
Owain
Mary Fisher wrote:

I watched a programme on Sky about making safety boots. Fascinating, it was, but I dare say it's not what you're after, Mary.
Si

What did you learn about it?
Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:

It wasn't in the greatest detail but it showed all the processes from tanning the hides to vulcanizing the sole to the boot. Mostly by machine of course.
Si

It would have been interesting but, as you surmise, not what I was after. Thanks anyway,
Mary

You're just talking cobblers now! :-)

No, a cobbler is a shoe repairman, not a maker.
Rrasppppppp!
:-)
Mary
Mary Fisher wrote:
|| No, a cobbler is a shoe repairman, not a maker.
That would be a Cordwainer.
Dave

That trade crops up frequently on genealogy records A cordwainer (AIUI) is one who works with Cordovan leather (a particularly fine flexible leather from the town of Cordoba(sp?) in Spain. Fine, flexible items would be manufactured from Cordovan leather such as gloves - it is not inconceivable that 'toffs' might have shoes made by their Cordwainer ... AIU Cordwainer != shoemaker. It's a bit like a cardboard-box folder being styled an _Origami artiste_; even though the techniques are similar.
--

Brian

Brian Sharrock wrote:

My sister-out-law refers to herself as a cordwainer when she makes leather bags and belts. The leather she uses for that is a lot stiffer than most shoe-leather. She is using the word just to mean "leather-worker".
The old copy of Collins by my desk gives cordwainer as "Archaic: A shoemaker or worker in leather" (and then proceeds to give the derivation from Cordoba).

It's much more general than that these days - shoes and accessories in all sorts of leather and other materials are designed and made at Cordwainers College.
Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:

I think you'll find he/she makes shoes if asked. :-P

Also known as a Cordwainer

http://www.marywalesloomis.com/index.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~lizjones429/shoe-advice.html
http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/shoe/SHOEHOME.HTM

Gee!
Some useful stuff, thank you.

Already known but thanks anyway.
But you don't know anything about it yourself ?
Mary

No. What is the interest? There is no way anyone not already well trained can compete with modern machines and/or cheap imports.