Ridged

So I took my sometimes resadent tool expert/Husband down to Home Depot yesterday to look at the rarobi Table saw (ok I know my spelling sucks) and after looking at the $299 rarobi table saw we looked a a Ridged for about $450 and it was definantly $150-200 cooler then the rarobi.

Then we went down to Sears and looked at the $629 craftsmen table saw it was not even $50 cooler then the ridged, base was more heavy duty and it had extra power outlets on it.

know my question is does anyone have any thoughts about the ridged brand? they seam to be a decent quality but you can't really test them out in the store....lol

Deborah

Reply to
Deborah Kelly

Don't own any but, if HD are to be believed, Ridgid are now offering a Lifetime Warranty on their power tools. Supposedly they will replace brushes, batteries, grease, oil, tires, wipers, ....

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Reply to
Rob Mills

Rigid makes fine tools. Not top of the line, but noticably better than Ryobi and probably a step up from equivalent Craftsman models.

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Reply to
Deborah Kelly

I was thinking that may be the case but I can't actully tell Just how good they are verses how good they look till I try them out...lol hence the question :) Thanks Deborah

Reply to
Deborah Kelly

Reply to
Leon

Right now it is true but they have been known to switch back to a shorter warranty. IIRC they have switched 4 times in the last 3 years. This also includes the rechargeable batteries which is virtually unheard of.

As a Ridged rep told me, if you get the life time warranty make a photo copy of the receipt because the regular heat sensitive receipt that they use will fade. You need the receipt to prove when you purchased and the time period indicates whether you have a life time or the regular shorter warranty.

Reply to
Leon

Problem is that the Ridgid name was sold to a Chiwanese outfit to put on a line of power tools. The quality which most people associate w/ Ridgid comes from the US company which makes a line of hand tools which are of prime quality. There has been little stability in the development of the power tools and while it appears they have some decent tools, it is still, imo, a crapshoot as to whether they'll be around for any subsequent warranty service or whether they'll stand by such promises.

I'd make the selection on what can be told of the tool itself as opposed to the hope of the longterm warranty.

Usual disclaimer prevails, of course...imo, ymmv, $0.02, etc., etc., ... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Deborah,

Go ahead and buy the ridgid. It's a perfectly good saw for your average home woodworker and above, and will do what most people likely need. On the other hand, if you've got the money for the sears, the fence is pretty good. But once you get into the "for just a couple hundred more..." game, it never stops. So don't worry, get the 3650, and if he's still doing woodworking 3 years from now, let him get a cabinet saw. By then, you'll be so deep into this stuff you'll know exactly what to get. Just make sure you're getting the 3650, and not the portable ridgid you pick up and roll around... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
wlantry

I think that you mean Ryobi Table saw (BT3100) -- I have one and I like=20 it. That is the one with the sliding miter table. It can be quite=20 precise -- it is better for "smaller" pieces in my opinion. If your=20 objective is to cut 4'X8' sheets of plywood most saws will need out feed =

and in feed and side tables added.

Check out

opinions there are biased -- but those people actually use the saw.

If you wonder what I mean about the modifications, have a look at my web =

site. Just look for the Ryobi table saw.

the shop furniture was built with the Ryobi BT3000SX.

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

Buy em books, they eat the covers.

A decent contractors's saw it isn't.

Piece of consumer grade junk, it is.

When you going to learn?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Him? who said anything about him its going to be my tablesaw....(lol see how well he can brain wash me...lmao) It might of just been crappy setup but the fence on the sears one had one heck of a wobble to it...lol The 3650 is the one we looked at and it was nice looking, the portable one I wasn't even thinking about looks too much like a baby tool, you know the ones you look at and wonder what they are going to be when they grow up...lol Thanks Bill

Deborah

Reply to
Deborah Kelly

Well the warranty would just be an added bonus, we definantly would not buy something just because of the warranty, and extended warrantys yeah right...lol :)

Thanks

Deborah

Reply to
Deborah Kelly

Thanks I will defiantly do that then when we buy it :)

Reply to
Deborah Kelly

acctully we went in to look at the Ryobi BT3000 and we thought the sliding miter table was really cool. The thing with the table saw is I like the bigger table and I'm not going to be starting out on smaller things (after I build my bench I have two rooms to fill with bookshealves then we will see about furniture for the rest of the house...lol) Man you have some nice stuff the site just finished loading.... Thank you I was wondering how the BT3 would hold up

Deborah

I think that you mean Ryobi Table saw (BT3100) -- I have one and I like it. That is the one with the sliding miter table. It can be quite precise -- it is better for "smaller" pieces in my opinion. If your objective is to cut 4'X8' sheets of plywood most saws will need out feed and in feed and side tables added.

Check out

opinions there are biased -- but those people actually use the saw.

If you wonder what I mean about the modifications, have a look at my web site. Just look for the Ryobi table saw.

the shop furniture was built with the Ryobi BT3000SX.

Reply to
Deborah Kelly

First off it is the little ones that eat my books lmao as for learning, me probably never, you know what they say about my generation :) Deborah

Reply to
Deborah Kelly

There are some subtle differences between "Lifetime Warranty" and "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement". Read the fine print.

Doug Payne

Reply to
nospambob

lol....Well if we get any upgrades we have to buy them ourselves our son only has the pennies we let him carry around in his pocket so he isn't going to be buying anything for years ;) But i'm going to try to keep inmind to clean the gears every so often no matter which one I buy...lol

Reply to
Deborah Kelly