Recommend a glue for hardwood to tile contact?

I recently installed some Iroko floors and decided to mill all the transition pieces myself, since I have some Iroko laying around (doesn't everyone?).

The transition pieces will sit roughly half on ceramic tile and half on the pre-finished flooring (which has some kind of polyurethane finish).

Can anyone recommend the right glue for this application? I want to make a strong bond, but not the kind that it would take a jackhammer to remove. So construction adesive/liquid nails is out, as would be (I think) gorilla glue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, and Happy New Year to all of you except the spammers.

PQ

Reply to
PetQuality

Why do you need to remove the tile later? Hot melt?

dave

Reply to
David

The mastic used to glue tile to underlayment might work. NOT the grout sold as mastic and grout, the pure adhesive without fillers.

I think the newer latex-based mastics are not as sticky as the older petroleum-based mastics, but they might work.

A heat gun or solvent would probably soften it, but I'd think that either would also work on liquid nails.

Reply to
fredfighter

My reasoning for wanting to avoid construction adhesive is "just in case" for down the road... in case the tile needs to be replaced, or the transition piece needs to be repaired, etc. In a pinch I don't think it'd kill me to use something as permanent as liquid nails, I'd just rather take it back a couple of notches so that it's a firm hold but still removable if needed.

PQ

Reply to
PetQuality

SikaFlex 291.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Why not use trim screws?

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

Trim screws?

I don't see how that'd work, though I don't claim to be knowledgable on tile issues. The screws would be fine going through the the iroko, but wouldn't that either crack the tile or just not hold? I should have mentioned, the tiles are on top of concrete, so there's no plywood or CDX subfloor or anything like that...

PQ

Reply to
PetQuality

What ever you would normally use to attach the tile to a wooden subfloor.

BArry

Reply to
Ba r r y