Real (Wo)Mans 20" planer, 9.8HP Diesel (w/pics)

Oewww... I oughtta....

Reply to
Robatoy

No, but there have been diesels small enough to power r/c airplanes for at least 15 years. They work really well in scale aircraft, as they handle long exhaust extensions well, swing large props at a slower speed, and have a more realistic sound.

They had great promise, but Thielert, the biggest player, who based theirs on a Mercedes turbo diesel, went BK. According to a podcast I listened to a few weeks back, Thielert left far more orphans than I would have guessed.

Since jet fuel is far more available worldwide than avgas, I thought it was going to be big! I think the main reason for the lack of interest in North America was the easy availability of avgas, and the availability of a relatively easy 87 octane auto gas conversion for many engines. Lots of guys who did the 87 conversion are now having problems finding ethanol-free unleaded...

Reply to
B A R R Y

I suspect that ultimately a multifuel engine would be a more fruitful approach, and small multifuel reciprocating engines do exist--the Army used them on trucks a while back and Evinrude has a multifuel two-cycle outboard. Don't know how the Army does it but Evinrude uses direct injection like a diesel but with relatively low compression (by diesel standards) and a spark plug.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Hmm - In my ignorance, I have to wonder how well a low compression engine would fare at 8000'/2400m. Would that work?

(I played with diesel model aircraft engines in the 50's, but they ran at fairly high compression.)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

That would be extra work... dragging that lumber up a mountain like that? What if you didn't have a mountain nearby?

Reply to
Robatoy

Then I'd probably need a little help from my friends.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Diesels typically have compression ratios from 14:1 to 24:1. Few gasoline engines go higher than 12:1 and most considerably less. The Continental O-200 has 7:1, the Lycoming O-235 has 8.1:1. Both are very popular aero engines that work fine at 8,000 feet. The Rolls-Royce Merlin that powered the Spitfire had 6:1 but it also had a blower.

All diesels run at high compression--it's the nature of the beast that they have to.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Thanks, John. The mention of a low compression aircraft engine confused me - I suppose a 14:1 might be a "low compression diesel" then, even though that might be fairly high for a gas engine. IIRC, my old Volvo B20 (gasoline) engine had a compression ratio of 11:1, which I was told was fairly high for a car.

I appreciate the info.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I checked with the optician who stripped and recoated my polycarbonate glasses a while back and learned that that isn't being done any more because the stripping process can produce ripples on the lens surface.

I asked about using windshield scratch filler/remover products and he thought that /might/ work short-term, but would probably not survive much lens cleaning.

Reply to
Morris Dovey