Help me pick a knob for my big ash table... (w/pics)

Very NICE! I really like the legs! With the pull IMHO I would go with a mission style pull.

D.

Or maybe make one yourself from a piece of contrasting wood?

Reply to
Stoutman

.. snip

Alright, from your abpf posting, from the top down:

1) Looks too institutional, although the scale is probably about right for the mass of the table 2) Hard to tell from the picture with the knob, but looking at the size of the table, it looks like that may be too small 3) I like it, but you have to live with it 4) Interesting, might be worth using some double-sided tape and evaluating 5) Nah (again, my opinion) 6) Might work, but again, given the size of the table, it might not look right

Probably the biggest thing is going to be picking a handle that scales well to the table. Take a look at Woodsmith #163, they had a pretty good overview of proportions for chest hardware, maybe you could extend that to your application.

Mark & Juanita

This one.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

None of them. :-(

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Hello everyone,

My big ash table is almost done. I have brushed 3 coats of Minwax water based poly onto the base and bottom of the table and 5 coats onto the top of the table. I wet sanded the top with 600 grit paper and rubbed it out with

2F pumice. I then waxed the top with Lee Valley blue label wax which ironically comes in a can with a yellow label.

have been debating what type/style of knob should go on the drawer. A friend of mine who had a number of knobs at her place gave me a bunch to see what would look best on my table.

one do you think works best with the table? Or alternatively, do you have another suggestion for a better pull for the drawer?

Thanks,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, In mine, I'm him

Reply to
David F. Eisan

Reply to
marc rosen

Let me get this straight...

You told a girlfriend about your big ash and see invited you over to see her knobs? Wow, that never works for me...

I like the top one as well.

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

Of the knobs you have presented, the top one is clearly my pick. The rest are 'cutesy fad-ware'.

A 'reach under'-type pull (like the top one) would be nice if it was made from ash. You just can't have a dainty knob on a table with that kind of presence.(IMHO)

I looked around the pictures of your shoppe and didn't see a crane anywhere. How ARE you going to move that table?

NICE!

Rob

PS.. I always find it extremely comical to see a movie of cowboys hiding behind a table when they're being shot at in a barfight. Your table could actually stop most hand-held fire-power.

Reply to
Robatoy

David,

The purpose of a drawer knob is to be functional and to draw the attention of the eye - in most cases. I would suggest a carved inset (oval about 3" across, 1/2" deep) with an ash made pull centered. This would be unobtrusive and not call attention to itself but yet be elegant and unique when it is noticed noticed.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Your table is dead simple. Use a dead simple pull, or it will be out-of-sync with the style of your table. Use the cup pull.

Reply to
bsa441

If you don't go with the top one, what about making a pull out of a contrasting wood? Something simple out of Wenge or Bubinga....

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

I think I agree - I was definitely drawn to the cup pull also, probably due to the simplicity. And LOML would like it because it's easy to clean. I also like some of the mission style knobs in an earlier post. I have to say I was a bit disappointed to see the lack of wood knobs in your photos - before I looked at any of them, I was thinking of a very simple round knob turned from the same wood as your table. It would need to be large enough to be proportional. I also think a "Recess Pull" something like this would be nice:

- now you have my opinions. And you have a beautiful table! Well done. Andy

Reply to
Andy

none of those. make your own from the same or contrasting wood.

after all, you're him...

Reply to
bridgerfafc

I agree, the table has such a crisp, clean look, I'd like an ash knob.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I agree w/I think it was Robatoy. . . The first one (half cupped upside down), but thats my choice.

BEAUTIFUL work on the table!!!

Duff

Reply to
emcwixon

"David F. Eisan"

David, I too think that since you went to the trouble to make a flush, grain-aligned drawer, in the apron, you don't want it to stand out. Make a simple Ash, round drawer pull.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

I wasn't going to say anything because it's such a matter of personal taste, but mine seems to be different enough from everyone else that made suggestions that I'll mention my impression anyway.

What strikes me about your table is that it's all ash and it's all straight lines. I think you'd be doing it a disservice by putting a round knob on it (with a curve of any kind), or any kind of knob not made of ash.

If you want it to stand out (though I think that's unnecessary), you could get a little bit fancy with chamfers small and large. But those tapered legs give you something to match, so I'd keep with that theme as much as possible.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

I gave it some more thought.

There is a push/push doo-hicky that works like a ballpoint-pen mechanism. It mounts behind the drawer. The drawer-front sits flush. Then you push it inward and a 'springloaded click' pushes the drawer front out enough to grab the bottom of the drawer front. Close the drawer, push it till it clicks and returns to flush with the front.

No knobs, no muss, no fuss. I *think* I saw that in a Hafele catalogue.

Reply to
Robatoy

For that table, that's a great idea (hey, he's asking for recommendations). It keeps the lines of the apron clean and uncluttered. Does that hardware require having the drawer built to accomodate it? If so, it could be too late. (Well, he could get the sawzall out again).

Mark & Juanita

a little modification, if it's possible.
Joe Gorman