Read directions! -- sometimes

Like most of you I rarely "read, follow, and understand" the directions on chemicals or tools. SWMBO just bought herself a new dining room set and piece of packing tape left behind a residue.

I bought some of this stuff to try out:

I flipped up the little dispenser I immediately caught the distinct odor of Acetone or something similar. I figured I better do as instructed and try it in an =93inconspicuous location=94. Good thing I did because the rag picked up some of the stain/finish.

Went to the old standby of WD40 and removed the glue with no ill effects. I guess sometimes it does pay to follow the manufacturer=92s instructions.

If you are interested here is the MSDS for Oops!

sure what ingredient caused the odor but it sure smelled to me like nail polish remover.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

The stuff removes dried latex paint. That should tell you all that you need to know.

If you want to remove tape residue and don't want to use mineral spirits (which is WD-40 without the top secret miracle ingredient) then try Lift-off #2 which is specifically made for that purpose.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'm pretty sure it's toluene.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

like nail polish remover.

Xylene per MSDS.

Nasty stuff.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Not sure what ingredient caused the odor but it sure smelled to me

A passing vandal last year poured approx a QT of bright red gloss paint(latex?) on my gloss shiny black car, it was well dried before discovery....Goof Off (also a latex paint remover) with determined scrubbing and scraping via plastic tools removed the paint with no injury to original car paint. Don't have any experience with Oops but have never had injury to any surface I have used Goof Off on.....Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty-Jo

On 8/26/2009 5:55 AM Limp Arbor spake thus:

From the MSDS I'd say it's xylene, which is definitely not a good thing to put on certain finishes (like lacquer). Kinda surprised to see it there.

For 99% of these kinds of cleaning tasks, I find that plain old ordinary naphtha (charcoal lighter, Ronsonol, etc.) works fine and doesn't damage any finishes. Just used it the other day to clean hand schmutz off a client's kitchen cabinets (lacquer finished). It also takes off the gooey residue from price stickers, etc.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Agreed. Something very similar that works great is sold as "coleman fuel", "camp fuel", or "white gas". Available cheaply in large quantities at any camping goods store.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

On 8/26/2009 10:54 AM Chris Friesen spake thus:

Not sure about that. I've used white gas as a solvent, and find it's much "stronger" than naphtha, and more likely to damage some finishes. (I wouldn't try it on lacquer, for example.)

Plus it's nasty-smelling stuff compared to naphtha.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Yeah, but does Lift-Off #2 lubricate door hinges, remove rust, cure bee-bites, and act as an emollient in your bubble bath?

Reply to
HeyBub