Don't believe everything you read

When we moved in 3 years ago, in the lounge there was a surface-mounted plastic pattress on the wall backing on to the kitchen. It was right in the corner with the lounge external wall, and about a metre off the floor. On it was a paper label stating "circuit is disconnected". Within a couple of hours it got lost behind the TV, and I forgot all about it.

Until this weekend, when I had to get behind the TV, and saw it again. I wondered what was behind what appeared to be just a label over a blanking plate, so unscrewed the cover. I expected to find only bare wires, or maybe covered with insulating tape, which would be par for this place. What I found was the mains cable going into a standard brown plastic block of the sort you'd find in any socket, switch, fused spur, etc, But I could see nothing on the front. It seemed completely flat; there was certainly no switch. And the label wasn't big enough to have covered a 13A socket. I pressed the label a bit harder, and detected some indentations. It then became clear what it was - an old round 3-pin socket for lighting. At this stage I decided to put a test screwdriver on the screw holding the red wire. Of course, it was live! So much for it being disconnected...

Then I noticed that there were two cables attached to the block. One appeared to go to the outside wall, and then the penny dropped. In the lounge there are three picture lights, all on different walls. One light was on the outside wall, about a couple of metres from this 3-pin lighting socket. On the outside of the house behind the light there was some trunking, which went from the light to what I thought was the kitchen. I could just see a cable re-entering there. I couldn't see it on the inside, and had assumed it was just below the work surface and hidden behind something. Now I know it goes to the 3-pin socket.

It's probably a good time to get rid of all this junk as we never use the picture lights (all of them are different styles - again par for this place). Two of the lights are up against the picture rail; the other one is about 25 cm below it. The latter and the one on the outside wall (and the 3-pin socket), are controlled by the wall switch. The light nearest the wall switch isn't controlled by it. It's on its own circuit and is controlled by a switch on the light fitting! I think I'll fit a central light to complement the standard lamps we already have. There will be some plastering and painting required, but hopefully not too much.

By the way, does anyone know when these 3-pin lighting sockets stopped being fitted? This place was built in 1965 and has one, as did out previous place built in 1978, but not the one before that built in 1982.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

On 03 Jan 2016, Jeff Layman grunted:

I fitted three myself in my living room some months ago. Round-pin sockets for other circuits were phased out years ago, but they are still in routine use for lighting circuits.

Reply to
Lobster

There are a lot of those round pin, 2, 5, and larger around still. Their main issues are they are often, butnotalways,non fused, and the round pins are not shrouded to stop you touching them. Like many things though, we used them for years and most people survived! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I still have one of those bayonet light connectors here that accept a wire and thus can up be used to power things from the light. These things were pretty lethal. I went into my grannies house back in the

60s, to see her doing the ironing using one of these and the connector was quite warm. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff

they're of use on lighting circuits, so can still be used. Re-used if in good enough condition.

15A. IIRC there was also a 30A variant

not an issue for lighting use. For power use they're fused at the fusebox.

new plugs are, old aren't, same as square pin plugs

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes I can remember my grandma having a two-socket adaptor which allowed an existing bulb and also a device such as an iron to be plugged in to a lighting socket. Every washing day she'd get out the single-tub washing machine, attach the powered mangle to it and then iron the clothes using the main kitchen light socket to drive the iron and to illuminate her ironing. The cable of the iron was rubber shrouded with cotton, and had a tendency to coil itself up into knots at the slightest provocation, leading to unexpected "shortening" of the cable and hence to tug the iron plug out of the socket or to tug on the ceiling light fitting. Utterly lethal, especially the way she'd plug the iron in with her hands still damp from handling the washing.

Reply to
NY

They are still fitted.

Reply to
ARW

NY scribbled

I heard of an old dear being killed when she climbed onto a chair to connect her twin tub to one of those double socket adaptors. Her foot slipped in the water when she stood on the Hotpoint and she was frazzled.

Reply to
Jonno

They fell out of favour in the 60s, but are now back, this time used on lighting circuits rather than general power. So the wall lighting switch can control the plugin lights too.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Sockets using unfused plugs are also in use in theatres. Generally, the

15Amp ones, but in some places the 5Amp ones are used. Surrey CC had the brilliant idea of using 5A ones in schools "because they were safer". 16A connectors are becoming more widespread in this field.
Reply to
charles

I fitted a couple of 2A ones in my living room around 2001. They appear to be switched by one of the switches at the door, but actually both go through the home automation system, so they can be reprogrammed to be switched any way I like. One does a small table light, and the other does the display lighting in a cabinet.

To answer another comment, both are shuttered. I think the only unshuttered ones you could buy some years ago were the BESA box (circular conduit boxes) mounting ones.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Situation is somewhat different. There is no dorect connection to the mains, The connection is to a dimmer pack which is then fused - each way is usually 2kW and fised appropriately. The drawback of 5A sockets is that if lighting is hired in it comes with 15A plugs so adaptors need to be used. The school I worked in in Hampshire had 5A sockets but luckily the supplier I hired extra lighting from was able to dupply suitable adaptors

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

For those only used to 13A (rectangular) sockets, it is worth pointing out that the pin size varies with current carrying capacity on round-pin plugs/sockets. (Hence the need for an adaptor.)

Reply to
Martin Bonner

not just pin size, but also pin spacing.

Reply to
charles

The common sizes before 13 amp arrived was 5 and 15 amp. Both two and three pin. 3 amp was less common - but tends to be the favourite these days for table lamps since the plugs are small.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

2 amp, please.
Reply to
charles

I think its the same as 5A.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup. Getting my pins and amps confused again. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No - the plugs are considerably smaller. Obviously the plates are the same if standard 1 gang.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

no, it's th same shape, but smaller. Both sizes (actually all 3, if you incluse 15A) are available from MK, if you want to check

Reply to
charles