Well - that was a mug full of fluff and crap...

6 year old bathroom fan was getting noisy - it's an in line (in duct) Soler Palau - this one:

Thanks to the extremely well thought through design, if you undo the two silver bands, it slides out from the duct without untaping any joints (hoorah for good design).

Long story short - it was caked solid in moist fluff. Used a 1/2" paint brush to clean about a mug full of s**te out and a balled up old short on a long bit of oval conduit to push through both ducts to clear them out.

Back together, removed exit vent filter and let fan blow remaining crud out vent and now it's as silent as the day it went in.

Given we have no carpets, I was amazed how much s**te was in there - and very grateful I'd not used flexi ducting (except for a foot at the fiddly exit end).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Is this what you're like at the beginning of a new year? :-) I upgraded our fan the week before Xmas with a Loovent so that there wouldn't be any odd jobs left for January. If Xmas didn't exist, we'd have to invent it.

Reply to
stuart noble

We do not have carpets but we do have a dust problem. .............well, not really a problem. It would seem that carpets absorb dust. I have to blow out the fans on my computer at least twice per year.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

You shouldn't refer to Harry like that! He's a lovely man, really.

Signed Mrs Armitage.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Nor normally -

But we were doing the floor (new boards, fixing joists) and we've made it to the bit the fan lives under, so it seemed rude not to :)

Reply to
Tim Watts