Boric Acid for ants -where to get

Hi,

Where does one buy Boric Acid? Local hardware store did not have it. Would like to mix my own for ant control.

Rich

Reply to
RichK

The grocery store (think Borax).

Reply to
Keith Williams

Well, it used to be on the shelves of every drugstore. But now that drugstores are stocked with toys, food, liquor, holiday decorations, hardware, etc. etc. I don't really know if you can buy it there or not.

Reply to
John McGaw

Thanks Keith,

Would have never made the connection. Is Borax a 100% boric acid.

Some of the ant poison compounds with fancy labels have around 40%. The recipes I have seen for ant poison suggest higher concentration.

It's winter where I live, but small ants are "omming out of the woodwork" in my kitchen and it's time to assert myself :-)

Rich

Reply to
RichK

It was at one time. I suspect it still is (the stuff is cheap to make). Look at a box.

It's winter here too, but over 50 today (-20F last year this time)! What kind of ants? Winter isn't their favorite time unless they're nesting in your house (not good!).

Reply to
Keith Williams

I have tried Borax, but I found it kills grass easily if you put it on an ant hill in the grass! Even when using it agains the house in nongrassy places, I was never sure it was doing much. I've since used a container of granules found in the hardware store that is specifically for ants, and it seems to work well. --Phil

Reply to
Phil Munro

My source says

Borax is Na2B4O7-10H2O, Hydrated sodium borate

Boric acid is H3BO3

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

There's a home repair radio show around here (Portland, Oregon) where a guy touts a dry mixture, 1/3 each by volume, of boraxo, baker's yeast and powdered confectioners sugar, well mixed . Says to put it on small plastic tops from things like a Planters nuts can in areas where the ants appear.

Guy claims that the sugar and to a certain extent the yeast attract the critters who march through the stuff and bring the sugar and yeast and borax back to the nests / colonies / hives whatever. The ants eat the east which with a little moisture expands the yeast and kills the ants, as does the boraxx on their bodies.

I've never tried it and have no idea if it works, but it sure souds like a good theory.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

Now I'm all confused. Acids to me are liquid. The formula I saw for ant poison mantioned Boric Acid in powder (or similar).

Mabye a scouting trip is needed to see what's what.

Rich

Reply to
RichK

They are very small ants, and yes I'm sure they live in the house. I have several big plants, so maybe this is where they came from. Don't see them around the plants at this point, just showing up around the stove every few days. Been stumping them so far, but it's time to get the big guns :-)

Rich

Reply to
RichK

Hi Rich,

We buy our borax at the supermarket. Works great mixed with jam or honey. As soon as the ants recognise the mix as being bad, change the jam to another flavour. Usually takes about 3 or 4 days to kill out a nest.

Cheers, Larry Australia

RichK wrote: : Hi, : : Where does one buy Boric Acid? Local hardware store did not have it. : Would like to mix my own for ant control. : : Rich

Reply to
Larry

Home Depot has it. I bought a couple of plastic bottles (pownder) of them last year. The bottles were labeled something like "Roach, ant killer, 99% boric acid" or some such.

Reply to
NaN

In article , snipped-for-privacy@isp.net says... :) Where does one buy Boric Acid? Local hardware store did not have it. Would :) like to mix my own for ant control. :) Unless you are just trying to cut costs, just about every other ant product on the market will be less toxic, more effective and less hassle to use than mixing up BA mixtures you usually come across on the web. You might find it at a local pharmacy.

Reply to
Lar

In article , snipped-for-privacy@isp.net says... :) Now I'm all confused. Acids to me are liquid. The formula I saw for ant :) poison mantioned Boric Acid in powder (or similar). :) :) Mabye a scouting trip is needed to see what's what. :) :) What makes it acid..along with the liquid you are thinking of as acids is the ph level. You can also find BA powder in products such as Roach- Proof ..Roach and Ant Powder , but because they are marketed as an insecticide they will be priced higher than the boric acid you might find boxed at at a drugstore.

Reply to
Lar

Not all acids are liquid. Tannic Acid is another dry acid.

Reply to
Keith Williams

Apparently Borax the name for a number of chemical compounds, but=20 you're right. Borax isn't the same as boric acid.

and from:
Q: Is Twenty Mule Team=AE Borax Laundry Booster the same as boric acid? =20 A: No, Boric Acid is an acid formed from the reaction of borax=20 with sulfuric acid or another mineral.

I sit corrected.=20

--=20 Keith

=20

=20

Reply to
Keith Williams

No, it's mostly sodium borate, but I know from experience that both work.

You can also buy boric acid in 1-pound yellow plastic squeeze bottles, labeled as "Roach Killer," in most dollar stores.

Reply to
– Colonel –

For kiling them in the kitchen, spray them with a spray bottle filled with water and a teaspoon of dish detergent. Kills on contact (and also helps remove the grease that they're eating).

To kill the colony, though, you'll need a borax or borate bait and a few weeks.

Reply to
– Colonel –