Ants Ants Everywhere! How to kill?

I am having trouble with very small black ants. They don't seem to bite/sting but they invade my home in staggering numbers. I use Terro (a borax based poison) to kill them but they just keep coming back. The last time I put out some home made borax poison and the next day my floor was covered wth what looked like a million dead ants. It is possible to wipe them out for once and all? I have a large house and they are up on my 3rd floor evern. Should I put out poison all around the base of the house and just keep renewing it on a regular basis? When I found a long trail out side my home once I put out some poison made from borax and sugar and they seemed to like it initially but then ignored it. Also, any idea how much borax I should use? I want them to take the poison back to their next to kill the queen if they is even possible. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Reply to
bewettmiller

Dont worry about them. In a few weeks, Trump will incite a war, which will cause a worldwide, massive release of nuclear weapons. The radiation will kill every last ant, as well as all other life on this planet.

Reply to
endoftime

There are perimeter treatments that work somewhat.

A few years ago I had perimeter treatment with Termidor for termites. Although I did not have termites they were all over outside the house and neighbors had been infested. A plus was that we have never seen an ant in the house since.

Reply to
Frank

Except for a few libbies and the snowflakes huddled in their safe spaces decked out in red and black plaid pajamas, drinking hot chocolate, sharing their feelings, and singing kumbaya...

Reply to
Piso Mojado

Typically you mix bait about 12:1 with one part boric acid or less. You want this to work slowly. If it is too strong they will notice they are dying from it before the queen gets any. These days they do make better baits than the old terro with sugar in it. They have multiple types of food in them. I had good luck with Raid double control recently

Reply to
gfretwell

Have you considered a pet aardvark? Seriously, have you tried diatomaceous earth? It's harmless to people and pets but is supposed to stick to the ants and dry them out.

That page is an ad for the company put you should be able to find DE locally.

Reply to
rbowman

snipped-for-privacy@nogmail.com posted for all of us...

DAGS or get a professional in.

Reply to
Tekkie®

You need to discover what they are attracted to.

When I still lived in CA, I'd get those itty-bitty 'grease' ants. I lived on the 2nd floor and they would climb right up the outside stairs to get to whatever "food" they were after.

The first case was a sloppily closed jar of honey. They will move heaven and earth for some honey. I tossed the honey and the ants disappeared.

I noticed them, again, about 2 mos later. They had found a small piece of candy I'd dropped on my living room shag rug. I got rid of the candy, dosed the march-line up my outside stairs with some Raid ant killer and. voilá, no more ants.

BTW, those Grant's metal ant thingies one sticks in the ground, around the house? Absolutely useless! I've seen ants enter 'em and come right back out, completely unfazed. No wonder they keep selling 'em. Ppl keep buying 'em!! For no good reason I can discern, but.... ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Those Argentinian ants are an amazing species. They don't fly to mate--instead they mate within the nest, and then 10s or 100s of new queens migrate away to start new, but not competitive, colonies.

A good food supply for them will ensure and increasing population. The more bounty they find, the more new queens will be produced, and the more ants will invade everywhere. If your garbage containers have the sorts of things they like to eat (which is pretty much anything *WE* like to eat), your problems will increase. The solution is to try to make your house, property and even your neighbors house and property, as food-free as possible. If you're throwing out an "empty" jar of peanut-butter, for example, wash it thoroughly first. Don't make your garbage/recycling into ant incubators.

Or... you can continue to spray poisons all around you and your family.

Reply to
croy

as others have said, make sure there isn't food or water inside or near the house that they are using...

then find the gaps/cracks they are using to get into the house and seal them up.

on the outside of the house if you have an area they have been using as a regular path into the house up the foundation, you can scrub it with some soap/ammonia or dilute bleach to get rid of their scent trails.

on the whole ants are one of the major biological critters. you are not going to ever get rid of them on your property nor does it make any sense to try to do that (via poisons).

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Don't worry about any black ants. They are just lost and dejected Hillary voters.

Reply to
redzap78

Are they wearing little pink hats?

Reply to
rbowman

Yes they did while throwing candy wrappers on the ground.

Reply to
redzap78

If you want to know "How to Kill", just go visit any prison and speak with some serial killers.... THEY KNOW HOW TO KILL!

Reply to
kligman007