How to get rid of ants

Hi, Too many ants in the yard(particularly in the flower bed) Any suggestions/recommendations to suppress them? Tried ant baits, power spray, does not seem to work well.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Amdro

Reply to
Pete C.

Ants come in many varieties. Identify your ants, then as they say, pick your poison.

Tony Sivori

Ants are like the rain. They may go away, but tomorrow, there's more. Educate yourself about the different ants, their habits, their control, and the fact that no matter what you do, there will be some more right around the corner.

Ant activity can spike with weather conditions, temperature, and ground moisture, with rains floating them up, and decreasing their available range, and bring them in the house, where normally they would like to stay outside in the dry ground.

We use Amdro, and it works HERE. Where you're at, I'm not sure. We got about ten containers of it at a yard sale for $2 per container, and I was told that if it is sealed it lasts a long time. There are other cheaper ways, including a boric acid/sugar combination that works, and is safer for animals. Same with DE.

Read up and have fun, you old ant wrangler, you.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Quit leaving food out.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Here in North Texas, I use Terro - I believe that it's a sugur and borax mixture of some sort - as long as the ants are moving and the ants can get to it, I think they eat it and take it back to the nest to feed other ants - or something like that - I use it inside and out - all I know for sure is that I don't see any more ants.

Reply to
AngryOldWhiteGuy

1 t borax get at your pharmacy 1 cup sugar

Mix well and you have enough for a long time in your house.

Outside 1 T of mix covered by a rock or plate on nest.

Cheap and not too toxic.

Reply to
Bill who putters

What kind of problem are they causing? If none, leave them alone. If some plants are covered with ants, they may be feeding on sweet sap left by aphid infestations. Other plants have ants as their natural pollinators.

Reply to
norminn

Agreed. If the ants aren't carpenter ants and haven't gotten in the house, then you shouldn't need to get rid of them. If you get rid of the ants, you leave yourself open for other problems (earwigs, aphids, other types of ants, including carpenter ants, etc). There's some good products out there to prevent the ants from getting into your actual house, and I've heard they work quite well

Reply to
John