Re: Was Ryobi always junk?

I just now accidentally found this topic while "googling"and although the forum happened months ago, I have to add my comments. I have a Ryobi AP-10 planer that I bought when they first hit the market years ago. I have run literally thousands of feet of rough cut lumber as well as dimensioned, through it....no that's NOTan exaggeration.....and have never replaced a single part. It's been used and abused. I have rarely even sharpened the blades and most of the time they needed it. But due to my laziness, I just wanted to get the boards planed. This of course, adds to the strain on the planer, but it just keeps on "hogging" it's way through. It has been probably the most reliable tool in my shop. In recent times I find myself "drooling" on the new wider planers. That is until I look at the quality, price tags and disposable blades. I wish it was wider than ten inches, but it's not. But I have never been sorry that I bought it.

At the same time I bought a Ryobi orbital jig saw. Although it hasn't seen nearly as much use, I can say the same for it.

No. In my opinion, no, they haven't always been junk.

:D

:D

Reply to
elbow

I can parrot your success wiht the Ryobi planer. I have owned one of the old 12-5/16" planers for years and it just keeps on going. The machine continues to do good work and sounds just as robust now as it ever has. I also have a 6-8 year old Ryobi 2 cycle lawn trimmer that is providing good service.

Can't say the same about some of their newer equipment. Also, they have a habit of leaving their customers high and dry with regard to parts. When I bought my planer the replacement blades were about $19 a pair. The only source now is aftermarket at $60-$60 a pair. Fortunately, a Delta blade fits the machine and only costs about $25 a pair.

I am afraid I am coming up with the same situation with the string trimmer. The bump knob is about worn throught and the local dealers say I might have to replace the entire head. The knob isn't available.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Correction: the blades are $60-$80 a pair

Reply to
RonB

I wish my Dewalt planner is as good - went through three of them all had problems with the feed rollers, whish I bought a Delta floor model instead. I have the Ryobi table saw BT-3000 with most of the extra options for about

14 years and its still going strong after 6 houses - change belts three times (PIA), crank handle came off (replacement no good either, I finally welded that sucker in and its ok ever since). Just don't rip 4x4 with it. I have two of the Ryobi cordless combo packs, good drills and saws but shitty batteries, lasted only two years. Come to think of it my batteries on my Panasonic cordless drills only lasted about two years too and its highly regarded. The Ryobi weed wacker I have over 12 years and went through 6 houses as well, replace primer bulb once. I'm not a contractor but I maintain properties and Ryobi is ok by me - if I have money to burn I go with something like Hilti or some precision European power tools for sure.
Reply to
Fred