Was Ryobi always junk?

I have a Ryobi scroll saw. I started out with a Sears brand and took it back the next day - don't even remember what was wrong with it, just not workable, I guess. I exchanged it for this Ryobi and there is no way of matching the hold down prongs to the blade (think cross-eyed) but I needed the use of one and went ahead and used and kept it. It means I have to keep my eyes a bit beyond the blade and I don't think that is a bad thing. But still, when I'm rich this is going to be the first thing to go. Never bought another Ryobi or Sears thing.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

Hey, I have several Ryobi tools and they are a good value, but they are pretty feeble.

I have seen an old 15a variable speed router at an estate sale, and wonder if they used to make better tool, or if they have always been junk.

I am using a Bosch 1617evs with broken switch in my router table. It works fine, but occassionally I wish I had more power. I don't need another router, as I have two more 1617 without broken switchs, so if the Ryobi is no good I sure don't need it in my table, regardless of price. Whatcha think?

Reply to
toller

I don't think they are junk. I'm on my second cordless drill and never had a problem. The batteries on the first one wore out (after a long time) and that was the only reason I got another.

--

-Jim ©¿©¬

Reply to
jtpr

Never made anything above the "homeowner" level until a few years ago, as far as I know. Now they're making some at hobbyist level.

Reply to
George

Was Ryobi always junk? Judging by an admittedly small sample (the Ryobi weed trimmer I bought about fifteen years ago), I'd have to say yes.

Doug Miller

No, but they aren't getting any better.

I have one of the older Ryobi surface planer (12-5/16"). In fact, I believe this is one of the first on the market. Even after several years it is a great machine, solid and still works great. Problem is Ryobi has quit providing knives directly to customers and the aftermarket prices are 2-3 times original price (thankfully Delta's fit it too). Some of their older sanders just keep going too.

I has recently helping my daughter shop for routers for a gift to her husband. You could depth-lock a Ryobi and yet move the body in the mount with moderate hand pressure. Talk about built-in frustration.

A new hand grinder I bought a year or so ago lasted one day.

Reply to
RonB

The certainly are, I got their oscillating spindle sander from HD. It = sat unopened in my shop for maybe 6 months before I even opened the = box(caught it on sale). When I finally fired it up it ran maybe 5 = minutes before making the loudest screeching noise, like a dry bearing, = before I shut it down. It will now run a few seconds before repeating = the noise. No place to oil it and it claims no serviceable parts. Am I = suppose to throw it away. I will not be buying more ryobi stuff. I do = have a corded drill, with clutched chuck, that still works great tho.

--=20 SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I have one of the older Ryobi surface planer (12-5/16"). In fact, I = believe=20 this is one of the first on the market. Even after several years it is = a=20 great machine, solid and still works great. Problem is Ryobi has quit=20 providing knives directly to customers and the aftermarket prices are =

2-3=20 times original price (thankfully Delta's fit it too). Some of their = older=20 sanders just keep going too.

I has recently helping my daughter shop for routers for a gift to her=20 husband. You could depth-lock a Ryobi and yet move the body in the = mount=20 with moderate hand pressure. Talk about built-in frustration.

A new hand grinder I bought a year or so ago lasted one day.

Reply to
SwampBug

Reply to
Phisherman

I have a 1/6 sheet pad ro sander that still doing the infrequent job. model s500a (made in japan) must be before they sold the name. gotta serial that has an 86 innit- might well be from '86 Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

Mediocre stuff for the occasional user. Not what a pro or serious hobby user wants. I h ave a cordless drill and the batteries are shot, the switch was already replaced.

I'd go with a large PC, Milwaukee, etc.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Actually I have the original 10" Ryobi portable planer, the AP-10, I bought it in 1988 and as you have witnessed mine also works great.

Reply to
Leon

Not sure about always. I bought a 14.4v screwgun about 4 years ago. I only recently lost the use of one battery pack. The other still seems good. I had occasion to open up the tool (I caught the speed switch between gears and didn't realize it.), and found out that it had all metal gears. In addition, it carries a 1/2 inch Jacobs chuck. Most 14.4's I have seen have

3/8ths. I will probably rebuild my batteries as I believe that it will cost me over $100.00 to replace it and get equivalent quality.

I know that people talk highly of the AP-10 planer which I believe is "old"er. Depending on how far back that router you found goes, it might be a good bet.

Steve P.

Reply to
Steven P

Sears sells [or did] Ryobi under their brand name. Same product, different sticker.

Reply to
Guess who

I got the same sander. I have worn out most of the sanding sleeves that came with it. Never a problem.

My 14.4 v screwdriver / drill is my 1st choice for most needs of a driver. Been going strong for over 4 years.

Ryobi makes good quality stuff for excellent price for the hobbyist.

SwampBug wrote:

in my shop for maybe 6 months before I even opened the box(caught it on sale). When I finally fired it up it ran maybe 5 minutes before making the loudest screeching noise, like a dry bearing, before I shut it down. It will now run a few seconds before repeating the noise. No place to oil it and it claims no serviceable parts. Am I suppose to throw it away. I will not be buying more ryobi stuff. I do have a corded drill, with clutched chuck, that still works great tho.

Reply to
Mapdude

ryobi made one good router. sounds like you were looking at it.

Reply to
bridger

Thanks, I just discovered it may still be under warrenty if I can fine = something to prove when I bought it. I was certain my case was not the = norm. I am happy to hear of your success.

--=20 SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

came with it. Never a problem.

My 14.4 v screwdriver / drill is my 1st choice for most needs of a=20 driver. Been going strong for over 4 years.

SwampBug wrote:

sat unopened in my shop for maybe 6 months before I even opened the = box(caught it on sale). When I finally fired it up it ran maybe 5 = minutes before making the loudest screeching noise, like a dry bearing, = before I shut it down. It will now run a few seconds before repeating = the noise. No place to oil it and it claims no serviceable parts. Am I = suppose to throw it away. I will not be buying more ryobi stuff. I do = have a corded drill, with clutched chuck, that still works great tho.

Reply to
SwampBug

"toller" wrote in news:MoOid.2683$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

A local tool repair center says their old industrial line were great tools. A year or more ago I came across one of their small resaw bandsaws, the BS50N.

Photos and specs here:

I replaced the top wheel bearing for about $18.00 including the labor at the bearing shop. Haven't figured out how to pull the bottom wheel off yet. The universal motor is VERY loud however.

Alan

Reply to
A Womack

Yup! I have the Crapsman ROS, and it's a dead ringer for the Ryobi. Has done well, except the screw holding the pad assy. on the drive shaft has loosened up a couple times. Next time I'll put some Thread-Lock on it. I also have the Ryobi "Detail Sander". It's definitely not a Fein(sp?), but for what I have done with it, proves acceptable.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Yup! I have the Crapsman ROS, and it's a dead ringer for the Ryobi. Has done well, except the screw holding the pad assy. on the drive shaft has loosened up a couple times. Next time I'll put some Thread-Lock on it. I also have the Ryobi "Detail Sander". It's definitely not a Fein(sp?), but for what I have done with it, proves acceptable.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

OOPS! Sorry about the double post.

Reply to