Re: QUESTION - HOW DO YOU SHARPEN A HOLE SAW?

> I can sharpen a saw blade, but never thought about sharpening a >hole saw. So, is there any special trick, equipment, or exotic ways of >doing it? Just take it slow and careful? Or, nobody knows? Of course >I checked google. > > And, yeah, I know I could just buy another one, but where's the fun >in that? > I'm sure you've never done it Dave, so we don't need to have you >pop up with any inane, or even insane, input. >

The real Dave says....doubt if you can sharpen a hole saw. I'm bettin' that it is the same grade and temper of steel as a hacksaw blade. Can't recall anybody sharpening one of those, have you?

Of course there are TCT hole saws but I have no knowledge about them. Might hit the web and send an email to Starrett or Milwaukee or one of the other sellers and makers of hole saws. See what they say about re-sharpening 'em. Tales of a Boatbuilder Apprentice

Dave Fleming

I tried to have a 6" hole saw sharpened that was used for cutting holes in fiberglass tubs and showers. It came back half done with a note saying the thing was too hard and there was no charge. It might just be time to buy another :)

Thanx much,

Scott

Reply to
Scott Lincoln

All my hole saws are either carbide (can't sharpen that) or induction hardened (can't sharpen that either).

I have two sets; sharp and blunt. I keep the blunt ones for building work, when I _know_ I'm going to ruin them in plaster, or by hitting a brick. They're not expensive to buy and I know I can still get some use out of one that's less than pristine.

Andy Dingley

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

I do the steel ones using a dremel tool and one of those reinforced cutoff wheels. You can use a small solid carbide burr to sharpen forstner bits also. Its not a precision job like what you'd get from a sharpening shop, but if the tool cuts like crazy after you're done, who cares?

Reply to
BUB 209

Aren't they just carbide tipped?

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

No special trick...except for the angle. Just make sure each tooth is sharpened as close as possible to its original angle.

I bought a tool from QVC...a kitchen tool...to sharpen my kitchen knives. On one end, it has a open area...to sharpen things that can't be put into the V part like a knife.

I sometimes use it...in place of a file. Just 2 one-direction swipes...and a tooth is back to factory specs.

I sharpen all my blades on a regular basis. I've never farmed any of them out. I usually have 2 of everything...one being used...and one sharpened and ready to go.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

I have done the same with excellent results.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

I've found that any power tool like that takes off WAY too much material.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Ah those imposter types keep popping up all over the place. :-)

Tungsten Carbide Tipped aka Carbide Tipped. To the best of my knowledge only for use on non-ferrous materials. I can see the possibilty of re-sharpening one of those.

I don't consider a hole saw as being a very precise wood boring device. If you have a drill press a FLY CUTTER would be my choice.

Frankly for the time and effort and tools needed to even attempt a re-sharpening of a metal cutting hole saw compared to just schlepping out and buying a new one is not very cost effective, IMOOP, that is.

I think the 'suits' have a name for such items, Consumables, IIRC. Tales of a Boatbuilder Apprentice

Dave Fleming

Personally I'd go buy another set at horrible freight as I've tried to sharpen them with a file and found the metal's too hard. But since you want to have fun . . .

  1. Dremel tool with the grinding disk.
  2. Small diamond faced stick or even a fingernail file.
  3. Propane torch to anneal the saw and just use regular files. The above are random thoughts, none of which I've tried. Have fun.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

It's all a matter of knowing how to hold the tool and concentration.

Reply to
Mark

He has a baby drill press, I think. I know with my 10" benchtop, it specifically said that I could not use a fly cutter on the thing.

(I did it anyway, and the chuck came off more than once.)

Reply to
Silvan

Are you telling me that you can take off the same amount of material with a Dremmel tool that you can with 2 swipes of a file?

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Can't you WELD it?! lol

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

If that's what you think I wrote you need professional help.

Reply to
Mark

this from the man who said "failure is not an option", earlier in *this* Discussion? !!

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Yup. I don't see why it couldn't be welded and balanced. lol

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

I *KNOW* what you WROTE...I'm just not sure I understand what you MEANT. lol

So...answer the question.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Hey JOAT - What size hole cutter do you need? I've got several and I'm just over the hill from you.

Robert (>It's all a moot poiint now. The blasted thing broke. Where the

Reply to
Robert Shanks