question on air compressors and Xmas gift ideas

I am looking for ideas on Xmas gifts for my husband. He does a lot of woodworking and seems to have most tools. Over the years, this newsgroup has provided me with lots of great ideas and hints for tools that I can surprise him with. I can't thank you all enough for the help. And, once again, I'm back here looking for your expertise and thoughts.

I got him an air compressor about 15 years ago (Sears Craftsman - 5 HP, I think). It still works great and he uses it frequently. Bu I've noticed commercials for newer portable types of compressors that can be easily carried about the house and yard. Hubby likes to do most of his own "fix-it" type stuff so I thought this might be a nice tool for him.

Are these smaller portable units any good? I saw a Home Depot model called Husky. Costs about $100 and says it has 135 PSI. Is that good? Are there better lightweight models out there that can do a decent job? Or is the heavy duty compressor the best way to go.

If you have any other ideas for good Xmas gifts - please share. Like I mentioned before - he has about most tools - at least it sure looks like he does. But if there are any new, unique, or truly-improved tools, I'd be interested.

Thanks so much for any help you provide - this newsgroup is the only way I have to be able to surprise my husband with tool toys that he really likes, needs, or wants.

Reply to
Kathleen

If he is anything like me, the color or wheel diameter might matter.. ;~) It does not really matter. But, you may do better by getting him a gift certificate to his favorite tool store and that way he gets the exact one he would normally choose.

Reply to
Leon

I went on a job the other day and a really experienced carpenter had a really small compressor from Home Depot. It is probably the same one. Of course, all day long he was being kidded about the "girly" compressor, but it handled two trim nailers well, and the plus part, the compressor probably weighed around 20 pounds. If you are doing continuous nailing, or using a high volume tool like an air wrench, it won't work, but for most small projects, it should work well. In fact, although I have 3 compressors, the next time I have to go on-site and do some nailing, I am going to buy a "girly" compressor.

Reply to
Preston Andreas