Portable Air Compressors

All outdoor power equipment that uses a small engine has to be cleaned. Usually, we use a detergent or solvent based cleaner. The cleaning agent itself is not going to damage the engine, but the water that you use to flush it off is going to shorten the engine's life.

A friend who is a pro auto mechanic has a large stationary compressor. When used with a blow gun it can produce a tremendous volume of air. Its the safest way to remove soil, sand, and grime without the use of chemicals and water.

I was looking at portable air compressors. To me, a portable compressor is under 45 lbs. An electric model would be best since they require almost no maintenance. The question is, can a portable compressor and a blow gun deliver a jet of air powerful enough to blast away the crud that accumulates on small engines?

Reply to
h_markston

Don't know, but pressure is pressure regardless of the size of the compressor. Big ones can maintain the pressure at a high air flow better. So if the big compressor can, the little one can; it just might take much long because you have to stop to let the pressure build up over and over again.

Reply to
Toller

I use a 1 hp sears compressor its plastic case and weighs little. use it just for cleaning.

where big pump and tank can blow all day, lightweight compessor can blow in pulses.

works for me

Reply to
hallerb

In some instances. They should be able to get close to your friends compressor, assuming you mean his unit at home and not the shop unit, which can sometimes be a monster. I'd ask him what the PSI he was regulated at when you used his blow gun, assuming it served your purpose. My guess is around 100psi, which is doable with a pancake compressor. A pancake compressor will fit your bill nicely, and you may come to love all the other pneumatic accessories you can run off of it as well. Most can be rented if you won't use them often enough to justify buying. I'd suggest something like the Porter Cable 150psi 6 gallon 2HP pancake. 34lbs, electric, great unit, very portable and 150psi is plenty for most uses. I borrowed one for a couple weeks and it was great. That same unit is still taking a beating, being left out in and used in the rain, and running jobs daily for my friends construction crews and it's a few years old now.

Reply to
DanKMTB