Looking for Xmas gift ideas for husband

This newsgroup has been so great each year as I try to figure out what tool toys to get my husband for Xmas. I'm optimistic that I can prevail on you once again. I'm looking for either little fun tool gadgets or big ticket tool items. But here's the catch. He has most of the saws, miters, planers, joiners, dust collectors, sanders, drill press, etc. And he has all the smaller stuff too - like the clamps, drills, hand sanders,and so on. His woodworking activities include making things like cribbage boards, jewelry boxes, and items along those lines. He also uses his tools for repairs around the house and such.

I try to pick up the latest gadgets that are advertised on TV -like the laser level tool toy last year. This year I saw an add for a new Black and Decker Measuring Tape that automatically propels the tape forward. Thought I'd pick up one of those. But that's just a toy -probably not even that powerful since it runs on a few AA batteries.

I want to get him a few tools in the $50-$100 range or maybe one big tool gift in the $300-$500 range. But I haven't a clue what he needs (or wants). I notice that he bid on a some tool items on EBAY - a saddle-square, sliding square, T-bevel, and Center Scribe. He didn't get the items. I know he has these already so I'm wondering if these are tools that a woodworker hobbyist would enjoy having several of?

I welcome any ideas for gifts. And any input on tools that it's great to have more than one of. I appreciate all of your help. I want to be able to surprise him with some items that he won't be expecting.

Thanks, Kathleen

Reply to
Kathleen

You didn't mention a lathe. I just received a Jet Mini lathe for my birthday and am really looking forward to learning to turn wood. It was only about $195 + $50 for the bed extension from Amazon after their $25 Jet discount. If he has one, maybe some nice turning tools.

Also, the Grr-Ripper System safety device (push block) is really cool. Lee Valley has the best price at about $59. It runs about $69 everywhere else. Rockler has the base unit and it may seem cheaper but factor in the attachment kit and it is more.

Additionally, if he doesn't have one, the Kreg Pocket Hole Jig kit is very handy for about $130- $140.

One thing I am coveting and you could mention this to my wife is a big tool chest. There is a good sale at Sears with a coupon for super saver days that brings a Grip Latch Ball Bearing set down to about $450. That would be pretty sweet. Does your husband have good tool storage?

By the way, you are a great SWMBO to think of and encourage his hobby for gifts. My wife does the same and its great. Many wives don't. Good luck,

Eric T

Reply to
robdingnagian1
[snip]

Do you have a sister?

- Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Get him something good. Doesn't matter too much what it is, but most well-equipped woodworkers already have everything they "need" (or else they'd already have bought one). What they appreciate now is a _good_ one.

Avoid power tools. Nearly everything is badly made rubbish. It's hard to get the right thing. Woodworkers _hate_ cheap gift sanders !

Japanese saw - a good dozuki (wooden handle as a minimum) is always welcome, because they come in a dozen different sizes so it's unlikely to be a duplicate, even if he already has one.

Sub to Fine Woodworking

Scraper plane. A #80 (cheap Stanley) or a #112 (Lee Valley / Lie-Nielsen, not so cheap). Most people have never used a scraper plane, and they're missing out.

Block plane. He's got one already. Get him the Lee Valley low-angle adjustable-mouth block plane and show him what he's been missing. Their shoulder plane looks good too.

Sketchbook. A hardback bound journal of excellent lined paper, an artist's medium cartridge paper bound sketchbook, some good cheap pens (pigment ink 0.7mm fibretips), a clutch pencil (0.7mm, with soft 2B leads) a box of mixed-grade Derwent brand pencils (they do excellent sets in tins), a workshop-proof pencil sharpener and a big artist's rubber. Try to find a tin for all the pens and rubbers.

Tape Measure. The recent big yellow Stanleys, with the "leverlock"on the _base_. This is one of the very few tape measures with a lock that actually works (only the leverlock on the base)

Matched set of hardware for a project. Read the LV hardware catalogue and find some top-end Brusso hinges, locks and drawer knobs (or whatever) to make a jewellery box / humidor / fishing tackle box.

Timber. A couple of boards of walnut, birdseye maple, or something really nice that he wouldn't normally buy.

That's always awkward. Things like combination squares though, people often make do with a poor one, but they'd really love a decent one (Mitutoyo or Starrett) instead.

Next Fall, leave a Lee Valley catalogue lying around with a marker pen tied to it. Tie some tinsel and a sprig of holly to the pen, if he really needs a hint.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Wed, Dec 8, 2004, 2:27am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net (Kathleen) says: This newsgroup has been so great each year as I try to figure out what tool toys to get my husband for Xmas. I'm optimistic

If it was me you were buying for, I'd say high heels, garter belt, stockings, lingerie. Then you wear them.

JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind.

- Dr Seuss

Reply to
J T

Since I seem to be a late arrival to this thread: Do you have /two/ sisters?

An absolutely splendiferous gift might be one of the tool chests from Gerstner & Sons. Most woodworkers seem to have difficulty spending on one of these for ourselves; but I've never met a ww'er that didn't drool over 'em. They have a web site at

should be able to find better prices from sources other than the manufacturer (although the other sources probably won't offer the same selection.)

I don't have any connection with the company - and I've never been able to justify buying one of these things for myself.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I don't think that you can ever go wrong with gift certificates..

They let him pick what he wants/needs and still let him know that you put some thought into what he'd like..

Reply to
mac davis

I've always been able to find something unique in Lee Valley Tools' woodworking gift section.

Upscale

Your Hubby is one lucky man!!! Can you come over and talk to my SWMBO about xmas gifts.

Reply to
dteckie

If it were me, I'd really like a gift certificate to Woodcraft. If Woodcraft is not nearby, then Home Depot will do. I do not like others choosing my tools nor my underwear. Getting someone something that is not really needed or wanted puts them on the spot--you have to act surprised and appreciative even when you are not. If he doesn't have safety equipment (fire extinguisher, first aid kit, ear protection, quality dust mask, face shield) it will be a thoughtful gift.

Reply to
Phisherman

They also offer a couple of their chests in half-price unfinished kits. Nice idea for a woodworker who can do handwork and finishing, but doesn't have the machinery to do one from scratch. You could also put an ammonia fumed finish on it, rather than their usual fairly boring oak finishes.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Somewhere a long time ago I read that the perfect gift is something that someone could afford to get for himself and would want to get for himself, but wouldn't think to get for himself.

Better safety equipment is always good. Anything from Starrett that he doesn't already have and that is useful for woodworking is good (Starrett also has a bunch of esoteric industrial stuff that too specialized for woodworking). Does he have a set of diamond sharpening stones? Even if he has good Japanese water stones the diamond will prove handy. Just about anything from Lie Nielsen is a good bet--many Lie Nielsen items have equivalents from Lee Valley/Veritas that cost less and would also be good bets. Or just about anything from Japan Woodworker that doesn't duplicate something he already has (or a set of their high-end chisels even if he already has decent chisels that aren't high-end handmade Japanese, but that might be a lot more than you want to go). If he doesn't have a lathe, I second the vote for a Jet Mini--a small lathe is one of those tools that you don't miss until you've had one. Does he have an HVLP spray rig? If not, that would be _very_ nice--just make sure he's got enough compressor to run it or get one of the self-contained turbine setups.

Of course a gift certificate to Woodcraft/Lee Valley/Japan Woodworker/Lie Nielsen/Home Depot/Lowes etc would always be good.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Reply to
nospambob

Get your husband to create a wish list at Lee Valley, which you can then peruse at your leisure. He should be able to find a thing or two there he wants.

Clint

Reply to
Clint

Gift Certificate, the chances of your getting what he REALLY wants are slim at best. I received one for my birthday, it's the best present I ever got!

Reply to
Dave W

I agree with the idea of a well meaning gift and being stuck with it..

I was going to get a 3/8 cordless drill for the bench... the wife saw my wish list, and decided that I was being to "cheap" and got me a craftsman 19v 1/2" drill/driver that you could drill fence post holes with... it's a really nice tool, but about 5 pounds heavier than what I had in mind for bench use....

Return it? no way, if I want her to keep interested in my tools and shop!!

Reply to
mac davis

" snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yeah, those are great! You can find them cheaper, though. Picked up the one at Harbor Freight for ~$16 about a month ago (for SWMBO; she loves it. QC inspector by trade).

Lee Valley also has (a likely better one) for something in the $30 range, I think.

Very handy to have around the house/shop.

Regards,

JT

Reply to
John Thomas

Gift certificate to Lee Valley tools???

Reply to
John

Thank you all for such great ideas. I've been able to search around the garage to see if he already has some of the items suggested - and he does. But some items I don't see anywhere so I have a great list to start with.

This newsgroup truly has the best subscribers. It's a good thing my husband doesn't use the newsgroups yet on his PC or I'd have to figure out another way to get surprise gift ideas.

Thanks to everyone for your help...

Kathleen

Reply to
Kathleen

Clamps. No woodworker ever has enough

A precision marking gauge.

A good (as in Starret) combination square -- $150 or so from Lee Valley

Hock irons for his planes.

A really good blade for his table saw.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent

Reply to
rcook5